Tank mates for a F8 puffer in a 29 gallon tank?

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
Cowrie
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States of America

Tank mates for a F8 puffer in a 29 gallon tank?

Post by Cowrie »

While I was previously considering doing a freshwater puffer in my 40-gallon tank, I've been informed that that would be a bad idea with my 40's current stocking, so now I'm going to set up the empty 29-gallon tank we have sitting around the house as a brackish tank for a figure 8 puffer. I was wondering, however, whether I could add some non-puffer tankmates. In particular, I'm interested in knight gobies, and maybe an individual of one of the two widely available brackish blenny species in the genus Omobranchus (top hat blenny or zebra blenny, with a preference towards the former) and/or the brackish-tolerant killifish Aplocheilus lineatus, though I'm concerned that a 29-gallon tank might not provide enough of a footprint for those - the recommended minimum tank size varies wildly from one care guide to another.

So, what are you guys' thoughts about keeping those species with a F8 puffer?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Tank mates for a F8 puffer in a 29 gallon tank?

Post by Pufferpunk »

Knight gobies are a wonderful addition to a F8 tank but any puffer can turn out vicious. You just never know...
https://badmanstropicalfish.com/brackish-aquarium/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Cowrie
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States of America

Post by Cowrie »

I have a 20 gallon tank that I could use as back-up housing for a pair of knight gobies if the puffer turns out vicious. Do you have any opinions on the other species I mentioned as possible tankmates?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I do not, but the faster-moving the better.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Puffersrule
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Canada

Post by Puffersrule »

Mollies are a stand by for me. I also like stiphodon gobies for this. If you can find top hat blenny or zebra blenny they are amazing. My peacock gudgeons are also doing well. All are with four figure 8’s in a 120. I realize not same set up as you but you don’t need as many as I have.