Help choosing best puffer option

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
Ti_CLaD
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 1 Fahaka
Location (country): Canada

Help choosing best puffer option

Post by Ti_CLaD »

Hello, I haven't been active on this forum for a while but now I got a new tank and feel like getting back to puffer caring...

I used to own a figure 8 for 4 years, so I have some experience with puffers.

Long story short, my friend's son bought a used tank, was told it was more then 90gallons but changed his mind about it 2 weeks later and bought a different size tank, I purchased it and mesured it, it's only a 80gallon. So either the guy lied or didn't know but now this is what I have now...

I had plans of getting a fahaka but now find 80gallons is small for it... so here's my debate and I'd like your opinions please.

You guys that own them, which would be preferable, get the fahaka and change it to a bigger tank as it grows, or keep that 80gallon and make a community tank with only south american puffers ( like 5 or 6 of them, let me know if that's too much for my size tank )???

I red that the SAP are difficult to take care of, especially teeth wise, so I don't want to fail having so many that some don't get to eat as much and die or have to get pulled out for dentistry... but then the fahaka, since the tank is smaller I don't feel like stunting him neither, how do I know when he needs the upgrade???... it might sound like I don't know what I want but it's more the fact I don't want to mistreat the fishes...

I rather not go back to brackish and never did go saltwater so don't what to risk mistreating the puffer to learn...

Thank you
Puffersrule
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Canada

Re: Help choosing best puffer option

Post by Puffersrule »

The sap’s will easily fit in your 80 you could have even more. So you maybe should decide which is more of a pain. Buying and setting up and having space for the eventual big tank for the fahaka or the dentistry. You will likely eventually need some dentistry but you would need to live in a big city in America or a similarly advanced country. I am an very avid puffer keeper and if I could make the leap and learn the dentistry myself I would feel very empowered. It is allegedly something people can do from home but I find the thought quite intimidating.