Fahaka stressed not eating

Discuss & learn about Mbu, Fahaka, Mappa & other giant puffers.
Meatball1!
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Fahaka stressed not eating

Post by Meatball1! »

Hi everyone! I am new to this forum. Meatball, is my 7 inch, fahaka puffer. We had some algae growth in the tank so my 16 year old son did his research and bought some Vibrant. He dosed it according to the directions. Within 24 hours 4 of the rainbow fish stiffened and died. We did an emergency 75 gallon water change. It is a 125 gal tank. Waited 4 days and yesterday did another 50 % water change. I used prime to treat the water before adding to tank. Since this began meatball has stopped eating. Seems to "pace" alot. Just swims around. Is very dark but no heavy breathing. Water parameters ammonia, nitrite are zero. Nitrate is 0-.5. Anything else we should do?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Fahaka stressed not eating

Post by Pufferpunk »

Yeah, algae chemicals are BAD. Sorry for the loss of your fish. Add fresh carbon to your filter. Try earthworms.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
The Fish Lady
Puffer Fry

Post by The Fish Lady »

Hi!😃
Is your baby feeling better now? I was thinking about you, our friend, because we also have a 1 and 1/2 inch baby as well but ours seems to be healthy and eating well. We got him about 10 days ago...
Meatball1!
Puffer Fry

Post by Meatball1! »

He is doing great. He is a year old now and is about 9 inches. He refuses to eat anything other than pellet fish food. We have tried everything and he just refuses. I guess that is good since the pellets should have everything he needs. :-)