Blue dot puffer skin problem?

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
Adara
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Blue dot puffer skin problem?

Post by Adara »

Tank info- 55g display, 10g sump. Established for 2 months, cycled with live rock and sand. Inhabitants are the blue dot puffer and 2 clown fish.
Salinity 1.025
PH 8.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 10
Water changes 50% a week divided in 3 changes.

I’ve had the puffer 2 weeks, he’s been flashing occasionally since i brought him home. Fish store said they just do that sometimes. He developed what looks like a scrape on one side that i attributed to his flashing. Now he’s gotten some dark areas on each side and near his tail. Fish store says that means he’s happy and I’m overreacting 🙄. He seems to eat great and act normal ( I’ve never had fish, but i think he’s normal). The dark areas look like his skin as opposed to something ON his skin. I’ve never seen him poop, so can’t say how that looks, but never seen anything odd in the water. When he flashes it looks more like he’s aiming for his face then his gils, but not sure. Could a gill parasite cause the skin changes? Or two separate issues?

I have photos, but it’s saying file too large and i don’t know how to make them smaller…
Adara
Puffer Fry

Re: Blue dot puffer skin problem?

Post by Adara »

Oh, also I have some snails in the tank. I put a few in at the same time as the puffer, then a few smaller ones about a week later when i found out he might like to eat them. I don’t think he has- i found 1 dead but not sure if he ate it or what.

They eat LRS fish frenzy and I’ve tried to give him frozen clams in a half shell which he pecked at a little.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

It sounds like you're fish is on to a great start! Can you please post a pic of your issue? You'll have to upload it elsewhere & then link here.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Adara
Puffer Fry

Post by Adara »

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I think it may be a mood thing. If he's eating/swimming normally & parameters are great, I wouldn't worry. Is he an only fish?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Adara
Puffer Fry

Post by Adara »

Oh really? Meaning he might still be a little stressed? There are two clowns that were added about a week before the puffer. Never seen any issues between them, However the last two feedings they did come over to him and try to take his food from his mouth. They all eat once per day, and i make sure the puffer gets enough so his belly is just a little round. He does eat and swim normal (i think). Greets me every time i come to the tank. Only behavior that I’m not sure is normal is the flashing he does sometimes, which is mostly on the side with the darkest marks.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

If the flashing gets more frequent, you may want to treat the tank for Ich. Ich-X works great.

Adara
Puffer Fry

Post by Adara »

Ok, great. Thank you!
Adara
Puffer Fry

Post by Adara »

My puffer’s skin is still about the same, the dark areas are more grey now but otherwise he’s the same. I did see him poop for the first time today, at first came a cloudy white liquid and then white poop. I wouldn’t call the poop stringy. I let looked like chunks his food, which is The frozen LRS frenzy. Does this sound normal? Mostly wondering about the cloudy liquid that came out first. Given his skin stuff wondering if maybe i should treat for a parasite? The other inhabitants ( 2 clowns) seem completely normal.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Probably peed before it pooped. Sounds normal. IDK what parasite you'd treat for.

Adara
Puffer Fry

Post by Adara »

Oh jeez, lol. I did a quick search before i posted to see if puffers pee and got that they urinate through their gills. But that is what it looked like, white pee 🤦🏼‍♀️ I guess i overreact to everything. Thank you again!
Adara
Puffer Fry

Post by Adara »

My puffers skin has stayed about the same, and he gets these cloudy spots on his dorsal fin sometimes. They come and go. Never thought much of it, but today I’ve noticed him leave that fin kind of limp sometimes. I’ve never seen him do that before. He is still eating great, acting the same- though maybe has spent more time laying in his resting spot. Do you think the fin cloudiness is anything to worry about?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LPzuFvANv19NXCT98
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

If it comes & goes, I wouldn't worry.