tetraodon schoutedeni natural way of life in terms of group size

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
John7on
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Deutschland

tetraodon schoutedeni natural way of life in terms of group size

Post by John7on »

Hello guys my name is Jonas,

first of all thank you for this great forum and the given information.
I have a question about the tetraodon schoutedeni (spotted congo puffer). In every care sheet (i read like every care sheet on the internet i think) the information, that you can "keep them individually or in groups of 6 or more" is given. Some say that you can also keep them as a pair. This feels strange for me, because other fish i know is eather:
-living alone and only accepts the other sex from time to time to reproduce (like siamese fighting fish)
-living as a pair (for example many dwarf cichlids)
-living in groups, mostly in harems (like kap lopez kilifish)
-or living in big schools (no example needed, everyone will know schooling fish).
Thats just the way the live and there is no "you can keep them in .... OR ...." exept maybe schooling fish that you can keep as groups and they are ok with that, or maybe fish that live either as pairs or as harems and the other way around.
And the tetraodon schoutedeni doesn´t have this "normal" way of living? He lives either alone, or in pairs, or in groups with 6 or more like a schooling fish? That makes me sceptic and sounds like nobody knows, but he won´t die if you keep him alone and he wont kill his mates if there are enough mates so the aggression splits.

Sorry for the long entry before the question, but i think its necessary to not get the answer "everything is fine" :D

So here is the question finally and thank you in advance for your answers guys <3

How does the spotted congo puffer (tetraodon schoutedeni) live in his wild habitats in terms of group size: Does he prefer to live alone? Does he live as a pair, in groups or in big schools?

Please only answer or write something about it if you really know or have some experience from yourself or somebody you know or read something that i missed.

Thank you very much guys!

greetings Jonas
Last edited by John7on on Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: tetraodon schoutedeni natural way of life in terms of group size

Post by Pufferpunk »

Best article on the net by very respected & knowledgeable aquarists: https://www.pufferfishenthusiastsworldw ... choutedeni
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"