Clipping teeth and puffer puffed

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
mxnocean
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Clipping teeth and puffer puffed

Post by mxnocean »

Hello everyone, im knew here on the forum so please bare with me, so i have a few questions regarding my puffers, i have 2 green spotted puffers about 2 inches in length. I tried feeding them snails and mussels to keep their beaks short bit it doesnt work so about every 6 months i have to clip them. How i clip them is i sedate them in a bowl of 3 cups tank water with 2 drops of clove oil and put one in at a time and have them sit in there for a minute till their fins stop moving then i pick one up with a net and clip their beaks, the past few times this methos has worked great but today one of the little fellas wasnt fully sedated and puffed up while clipping, i quikly put them in a different bowl with no clove oil and she quickly deflated. So question #1, is the puffy going to be ok. I know its not healthy for them to puff. It was only for about 20 seconds the little fella was puffed then deflated. And #2 is what is a better healthier substitute instead of clove oil to sedate the puffers during this process, thankyou very much in advance
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Clipping teeth and puffer puffed

Post by Pufferpunk »

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"