Puffers for a 30gallon

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
hufflepuffer
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United states

Puffers for a 30gallon

Post by hufflepuffer »

Hey guys!
I am pretty new to keeping pufferfish but recently got a single pea puffer. Of course, I immediately fell in love. I am currently setting up a new 30-gallon tank and was wondering what freshwater puffers (if any) would be happy living in it. I would like to have tank mates (which I know complicates things) for clean-up at least. From what I've read, it seems that there is a lot of conflict regarding how certain puffers can be kept...
So...
Would I be able to keep any pufferfish in a 30 gallon with tank mates without having a bloodbath?
If yes, what species?

and lastly- if I keep pea puffers in the 30 gallon, could I move my single pea puffer in as well? It's still quite young, but would there potentially be conflict? I have read conflicting information on pea puffers, some saying they need other pea puffers, some saying they don't, some saying that multiple puffers tend to end in disaster.... So how many could I keep? It will be heavily planted.

Any personal experience or general advice is appreciated! Thanks! :)
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Puffers for a 30gallon

Post by Pufferpunk »

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"