F8 tank dimensions; is length, height, or overall footprint more important?

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
pajamacaptain
Puffer Fry
Location (country): South Florida

F8 tank dimensions; is length, height, or overall footprint more important?

Post by pajamacaptain »

Hi all! I'd like to set up a Figure 8 puffer tank in the distant future and am trying to figure out what the best aquarium for them would be. It'd be a species-only tank, somewhere between 30-40 gallons, with 2 F8s.

I'm in love with the look of Waterbox's Clear Mini 30, but the dimensions (23.4"×17.7"×17.7") are kind of strange compared to a traditional 29g in that it's much more cube-shaped (the footprint is decently sized though). I've never kept F8s before so I have no idea if they prefer a lot of vertical or horizontal space, especially since I'll be housing 2 and want to minimize any aggression. I guess what I'm asking is if it seems like a ~23" long tank seems long enough for 2 puffers, or should I go with something with much more horizontal space like a 30/33/40g breeder?

Thank you!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: F8 tank dimensions; is length, height, or overall footprint more important?

Post by Pufferpunk »

Longer footprint is always better
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"