Current stocking for figure 8 puffer tank. Is it suitable?

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
K2ggers
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Singapore

Current stocking for figure 8 puffer tank. Is it suitable?

Post by K2ggers »

I'm setting up a 50 gallon Figure 8 tank. Tank is 50 gallons with an overhead sump connected to a power head that runs 500gph. Pothos is planted in the sump, along with duckweed and a homemade algae scrubber. Current stocking is a betta and 3 swordtails, but I will move the betta out when my other tank has finished cycling. Here is my current stocking list:
1 Toxotes Microlepis (Small-scale Archerfish)
2 Figure 8 puffer
3 Swordtails
2-4 Orange Chromide Cichlids
2+ Emperor Gudgeons
I know the tank is overstocked but with the heavy filtration and the numerous methods of nutrient export I think I can get away with 25% weekly or 50% biweekly water changes.
I also know that Archerfish typically get too big for a 50 gallon. However, Toxotes Microlepis is a smaller species which usually only reaches 4-5 inches in captivity.
As for aggression, as far as I remember Archerfish prefer company but can live alone without too much issues, in fact they can be aggressive and territorial to each other in a tank that small.
The tank is heavily planted with 6 separate caves and plenty of hiding spaces.
Should I reduce the number of puffers, and should Chromides be kept in a school?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Current stocking for figure 8 puffer tank. Is it suitable?

Post by Pufferpunk »

Swordtails don't mind some salt but are not BW fish. Chromides are schooling. Good luck finding them! Keep in mind, a 50g tank with decor & substrate, does not hold 50g of water. Overstocking isn't just about waste, it's about high being comfortable in their own environment with their own territoried.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"