sourcing brackish puffers in Aus

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
fishkid
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Australia

sourcing brackish puffers in Aus

Post by fishkid »

hi all!
I'm an aussie looking to get into the puffer keeping hobby! obviously being Australian means freshwater puffers are kind of out of the picture unless I somehow magically come up with a spare $400 and i think marine is a bit beyond me atm as salt is bloody expensive! I would really like a brackish puffer, I am specifically looking at smooth toadfish right now. from my understanding they are pretty rare to find, does anyone know where i could source one? or are there any other brackish puffers here in Aus that wouldn't cost me a fortune?
thanks in advance!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: sourcing brackish puffers in Aus

Post by Pufferpunk »

Being in the US here, I can't help you. Have you done a search? Called around to aquarium shops?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
fishkid
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Australia

Post by fishkid »

Pufferpunk wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:18 pm Being in the US here, I can't help you. Have you done a search? Called around to aquarium shops?
I have searched all online stores and contacted multiple who have previously stocked them, everywhere is out. the pet stores I live near wouldn't stock this type of thing, they are all pretty much fresh water only and don't seem awfully knowledgable, I've only ever found extremely common, cheap fish there.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

You might have to hold out a little bit, a lot of puffers are seasonal. Especially in areas where it's difficult to find. Just keep bugging them about it.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Puffersrule
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Canada

Post by Puffersrule »

It’s true they are seasonal. You may succeed in finding milk spotted. I am in Canada and I believe when I was sourcing mine I noticed some articles and forums with Australians discussing them like they were common. Chelonodon Patoca is your Latin name.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

This post is 2 years old