Can a GSP be depressed ?

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
pufferella1
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Can a GSP be depressed ?

Post by pufferella1 »

Hey all, so I have had 2 GSP for about 1.5 months. Super cute little tiny dudes maybe an inch long each. They have been so fun and we’re such good friends and played all the time.
Well they got ich, thankfully I caught it early and was able to treat it by adding a little salt to the tank, raising the temp, 25% water changes every day and putting hertana and stress coat in the water. They lost all the spots and looked great.
We lost power for an almost 2 hours yesterday and idk if it stressed them out or what but one of my dudes died late last night.
Today his friend sat in his little archway and stared at him till I took him out. Now he keeps going over to the spot it was in and laying there and he has kind of sad floated all over the back of the tank. He usually comes the the front and pecks at my finger when I touch the glass. He won’t even come to the front today and he has not eaten anything at all. I’ve even given him his favorite shrimp. Idk what to do. I don’t want to loose him too. His green color is really vibrant and his Sparta are nice and dark but around his mouth is also dark and it’s normally white.
These guys came from freshwater so I haven’t changed them to brackish yet, I wanted to get them over the sickness then start. My water hardness is a little off from the aquarium salt I added while they were sick but my water is great I have tested it every day. Any help is appreciated
Nitrate - 10
Nitrite - 0
Chlorine -0
PH - 6.8
Alkalinity - 40
15 gal tank with a bubble machine and tetra filter
Not sure what heater but I keep it around 76-77 had it around 82 when they had ich
I should say it’s only been about a week since all of their spots cleared up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Can a GSP be depressed ?

Post by Pufferpunk »

Welcome!
If you ask me, your treatment may have caused some of the ich to disappear but since it's a gill disease, you may not be able to see the spots, until the gills are full of parasites & overflow to their body. Just adding a "little" salt & raising the temp "slightly" would not irradicate it. Ich-X is the way to go. Keep your temp closer to 78-80 all the time.

Are you planning on upgrading? An adult GSP (size of a Nerf football) would appreciate a 55g.

library/puffers-in-focus/an-introductio ... d-puffers/

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19348
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"