Page 1 of 1

Velvet in DT

Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:18 am
by Gd13
Hello. New here. Read alot but is my first post.



Some background on my complicated situation...



100 gallon FOWLR tank

1.23 Salinitiy

Ammonia 0

Nitrites 0

Nitrates 5

Temp 78

Been running for about 9 months

Cycled with fish

Tankmates....

4 inch Dog face puffer

2 bengaii cardinals

1 lawnmower blenny

1 yellow watchman gobie

1 royal gramma



I thought I had ich in the tank as dfp had some spots on his fins. Within 2 days realized it was velvet. He was covered in white. Looked awful. Nobody else looked sick.

No idea how it got there. The DFP was the last addition to the tank and that was over 3 months ago.


I did not have a QT, so I dosed with copperpower in the DT. Got up to 2.0 in two days and kept it there with very little change. Never got below 1.75 or higher than 2.10.



In the meantime, I set up 2 QT tanks.



After 10 days of Copperpower and a few freshwater dips, DFP looked much better. I placed him in sterile qt, alone. It's been 8 days and he is thriving again. Eating like a pig and looks and acts like himself again.



I placed cardinals and gramma in a different QT after 10 days. They all look great and are eating but, again, never looked sick.



I was unable to remove blenny and Gobi. They remain in the DT at 2.0 copperpower.



I realize none of this was done to the standards of what needed to be done. I've learned alot and was just unprepared. That said, I am where I am with alot more knowledge going forward.



The question...where do I go now with the DT?



Will 30 days of copperpower in the DT kill the velvet so I can do water changes, run carbon, etc to get the copper out and put the fish back in the DT?



Or does anyone suggest something different considering the tank was never fallow because the blenny and gobie are still in there? They never showed any sickness by the way.



Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful. Thanks so much