Page 1 of 1

New to puffers - Good food sources?

Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:43 pm
by 17mullitylj
Hi everyone! I just got a figure 8 and a few pea puffers, and I was wondering a reliable source for feeder snails? I work at Petco and have been bogarting snails from all of our plant tanks, but we're pretty much run out of snails, which I never thought would happen.

I took the puffers home so I didn't have to worry about the wrong person buying them, but I'm unable to find anywhere else in town to get snails.

My local fish store sells them at an outrageous price, and the local Petsmart doesn't have snails in any of their tanks because they don't sell plants. I haven't been able to pull enough from the tanks at Petco to start breeding them because of how fast they're going through them.

Any tips on other places online I can get them?

Re: New to puffers - Good food sources?

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:59 pm
by Pufferpunk
Welcome! Hopefully, you have those 2 species in 2 different tanks?
I have ordered snails from eBay but if you have a source at Petco, you could breed them yourself:
library/feeding/basic-snail-breeding/

Re: New to puffers - Good food sources?

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:40 pm
by 17mullitylj
Pufferpunk wrote: ↑Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:59 pm Welcome! Hopefully, you have those 2 species in 2 different tanks?
I have ordered snails from eBay but if you have a source at Petco, you could breed them yourself:
library/feeding/basic-snail-breeding/
I've definitely got them in different tanks. My problem is sourcing enough snails to start breeding without spending a ton to start up

Re: New to puffers - Good food sources?

Posted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:22 am
by PufferMack
Hello! I’m also new to puffer keeping! I kept looking online on kijiji and was able to find someone selling ramshorn snails 100 for $20, I’m going to see if I can get them breeding and supply as feeders as well! I agree with PP though, find a couple and get them set up to multiply snd maybe supplement with other food for now!