Fahaka questions for Fahaka owners

Discuss & learn about Mbu, Fahaka, Mappa & other giant puffers.
Riuqlav
Puffer Fry
Location (country): France

Fahaka questions for Fahaka owners

Post by Riuqlav »

Hello everyone I'm new to the forum!

I can't decide if I get a Fahaka or an Oscar since they cost the same for me and I like both, So I'd like to hear from ppl that own the puffer

1-I've seen this guy make an agar discus gel food with higher protein, and in the middle he put some oyster shells grit for grinding their teeth, as an option to constantly live feeding, do you think it could work? 🤔 I plan to keep a little colony of self cloning crayfish too but more for a treat

2-I've watched people playing with laser pointers with puffers which looked fun, also they buried on the sand and coming up when someone approaches the tank, so how much do yours interact with ppl in front of the tank? Is it like an Oscar or the thing is just lying there pretending to be decoration, and just come up and it wants to eat?

3-In videos they change colors, do you think they look better on dark or light sand?

Thanks in advance for the information.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Fahaka questions for Fahaka owners

Post by Pufferpunk »

Hey, my favorite fish! Both are very personable but I really love my fahaka. My last one lived to 19.
Start here: https://www.pufferfishenthusiastsworldw ... care-sheet
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Riuqlav
Puffer Fry
Location (country): France

Post by Riuqlav »

Pufferpunk wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:02 pm Hey, my favorite fish! Both are very personable but I really love my fahaka. My last one lived to 19.
Start here: https://www.pufferfishenthusiastsworldw ... care-sheet
I've read the post, and I guess that although I like the size of the fahakas I more into spots than stripes, but I am not willing to pay the 250euros my LFS asked on a T. pustulatus, and I don't have space for a Mbu, is there any other big puffer on this 25 to 40cm mark that I could research? Maybe the 4° biggest freshwater puffer?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

All the lurker species & ambush predators would grow to 4-5".
https://www.pufferfishenthusiastsworldw ... pufferfish
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"