Valentini Puffer died the morning after trimming... why?

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
drankdripline
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Four South American Puffaroonies
Location (country): United States

Valentini Puffer died the morning after trimming... why?

Post by drankdripline »

Today I woke up and my Puffer, Ardy, seems to have passed.

Last night I decided to trim his bottom tooth as he could not bite very well through his food. He mostly missed although once in a while he got a chunk.

I just had shoulder surgery, so I had someone help me. I felt bad asking them to help me with this so I did not set up the whole shabang. I simply had one small tote ready with his water, and I mixed the clove oil in the cup. I put about 4 drops of the oil into the 34 fl oz. I had previously mixed it with water in a cup.

I normally do less oil, but he was not turning, he was very nervous and I wanted him to relax before he hurt himself. As far as I knew the difference between sedation and lethality with clove oil is massive, so I figured I was safe. Nevertheless, we did the trimming. I clipped his bottom tooth and I put him into a recovery tote with an airstone. Within a couple minutes (if that) he was up, he was swimming, and I put him back into his tank. I watched him for a little while. He was swimming just fine, he even went to sleep in the place that he normally sleeps at night. Between his favorite arched rocks.

But this morning, I found him dead. Not very dead, but still not breathing or moving, and his eyes had sunken in. His color was good and he looked perfect otherwise. I tried to resuscitate him for a half an hour but it did not work, I have him in a tote with two airstones now just in case but I think he is gone for good.

What could have happened? He lived for at least 6 hours after the operation, I thought he was safe!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Valentini Puffer died the morning after trimming... why?

Post by Pufferpunk »

:sorry: :rip:
My guess is brain damage from overdosing the CO. How long did you wait before adding more oil? How long from the time you put him into the CO solution & back into clean FW?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
drankdripline
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Four South American Puffaroonies
Location (country): United States

Post by drankdripline »

Pufferpunk wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:40 pm :sorry: :rip:
My guess is brain damage from overdosing the CO. How long did you wait before adding more oil? How long from the time you put him into the CO solution & back into clean FW?

I only waited a couple of minutes, I should probably have waited longer but I never heard of brain damage from CO. Is it common? I thought the worst I would have to deal with was a really lethargic fish.

But the time was about 3 minutes from CO into fresh saltwater from his tank. I used an airstone to wake him up and he woke up seemingly fine. He even went back to where he normally hangs out in the tank.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

CO stops them from breathing.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"