Weird marine tank for GSP's

Beautiful, complex and discussed here. The marine fish and reef section.
AZL
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United Kingdom

Weird marine tank for GSP's

Post by AZL »

Once again, thanks for all the advice prior to my GSP's coming home over 5 weeks ago now. They are in full marine as the one re-homed with me came from the same. The one from the same batch but coming to me from brackish in the LFS acclimatised well and the two are still getting on well. There can be a little competition for food and human attention but they hang out all the time and sleep cuddled up together. As the smaller is not submissive I wonder if rather than a larger and smaller male who would be likely to exhibit a dominant and submissive split I may have a male and female. No way to tell I suppose unless they spawn which I understand is unlikely.

Keeping them in full marine (natural seawater harvested fairly locally that is reliably 1.025) with 1kg live rock per 10 litres of tank capacity has so far been fantastic. To date there has been no ammonia or nitrite and I've been carrying out fortnightly water changes of 25%. Very little cleaning to do, the bristle worms and other CUC deal with almost all of the feces. I have mushroom polyps that hitch hiked which are thriving and being ignored by the puffers and am adding a toadstool leather tomorrow as those are said to not be tasty to puffers or toxic to them if they do have a nibble. The GSP's are living happily with an algae blenny and a chalk goby - hopefully this odd but friendly community continues to be a peaceful one. One fish mainly dwelling on the rock and another the sand with the main swimming space left to the two GSP's seems to mean no politics, even when they overlap areas a bit. I refer to it as the weirdo tank and while it's a given that puffers will be intelligent, quirky, and interactive the blenny and goby have turned out to be very much all of those things as well.

Does anyone else have GSP's in full marine? How are you finding it? Early days here of course but it sees to work for them and actually I love marine, I don't think I'd set up another freshwater tank now. :D

https://www.facebook.com/abigail.zierin ... 949305175/
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Weird marine tank for GSP's

Post by Pufferpunk »

Loos good but I would build up the rocks to make caves & swuim-thrus, so they have a more interesting, complex environment to explore.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
AZL
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United Kingdom

Post by AZL »

Absolutely, there are little caves and swin throughs that it's hard to see in the pic but they're growing fast so they won't be able to use them for long. This is a starter tank which will be upgraded to 3 or 4 times larger when they grow a bit more and will have larger caves and overhangs as well as arches that can be moved easily to vary the environment. I will make the smaller arches soon to start varying this tank for them before they outgrow the rock caves and passages. :)
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

OK, great! You may want to utilize the entire height of the tank.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"