Is this ICH? How do I treat it?

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
eustoma
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Guam

Is this ICH? How do I treat it?

Post by eustoma »

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank?
5 gallons

How long has the tank been running?
Since Feb 1, 2019

Does it have a filter?
Yes

Does it have a heater?
No, but temperature is always between 25C and 30C

What is the water temperature?
Currently 26C

What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
One Nerite and a Dwarf Puffer, with a ton of small Ramshorn and Pond Snail babies that are too small to even tell which snail they are.

Maintenance
How often do you change the water?
Once a week, though I changed it today as I only got my DP three days ago.

How much of the water do you change?
Today I changed half a gallon

What do you use to treat your water?
Dechlorinator (idk it is a chinese brand)

Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
Neither

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
Yes

What do you use to test the water?
API freshwater test kit

What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.6

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? I fed it yesterday and the day before but not today nor the first day I got it since I was eating things around the tank

How much do you feed your fish?
I think I overfed it yesterday as I gave it a couple of frozen blood worms and it had already taken chunks out of snails while I was at work.

What brand of food do you feed your fish?
N/A it is frozen

Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?
Yes

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish?
Three days

How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
Just now

In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
Tiny white growth on its right fin... at first I thought it was maybe a worm or something as it looks almost like one of the small flatworms I see in the tank, but it wasn't moving.

Have you started any treatment for the illness?
No

Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?
No

How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?
No

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

I just noticed a small, white bump on its right fin. I tried taking a few pictures but the fish itself is so small that I don't know if you can even notice it, but I will try posting the pictures later if they are needed.

Basically the fish is acting perfectly healthy, and I observed its poop which was solid and brown/black so I thought I wouldn't have to worry about any internal parasites at least. My sister actually pointed out to me there was something on its fin or I wouldn't have noticed. There is a tiny white growth/bump on its fin and I am quite worried as if it is some sort of disease I would like to treat it asap. I googled it and the first result that came up was some viral disease and that really freaked me out. It has only been three days since I got the little thing so I understand it might be stressed out. Is there anything I can do to help?

I did notice every now and then it darts really fast across the tank, though it doesn't do this often. The current is a bit strong in the tank but I have ordered a different type of lily pipe and it should be here in a few weeks. I am scared to just leave the filter off as it might just cause something else to develop in the tank.

I attached a picture that also shows a small bump on its belly as well... it literally just looks like a dot hanging off its belly but I have no idea what it is! Please help!
WhatsApp Image 2019-05-15 at 22.38.32.jpeg
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Is this ICH? How do I treat it?

Post by Pufferpunk »

1 small white bump doesn't sound like ich. Ich looks like an evenly-"salted" fish. Possibly just an irritation during transport. You can add Melafix to see if that might help. Can't see photo.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"