Help: GSP in full marine water or brackish?

Tain't fresh, and tain't marine! Talk about brackish setups.
PurpleLadyMN
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States, Minnesota

Help: GSP in full marine water or brackish?

Post by PurpleLadyMN »

Hello,
I’ve been cycling an aquarium for a Green Spotted Puffer. My local Fish Shop has them in full marine aquarium. Do I leave the puffer in full marine or should I transition it to brackish? I heard younger puffers should be kept in brackish and not full marine - is that true? Is it safe to just keep the GSP in marine water or should I transition it to brackish?

Also, I’m currently cycling my tank with only fresh water. I’m wondering if I need to cycle my tank with brackish or full marine for this puffer? This is my first time doing brackish or marine, so not sure if I should by cycling the tank with the salt in there?

Please advise if I should add salt to my cycling tank and what level I should have it since currently the GSP is in full marine.

Also, do I need a marine water test kit to test marine/brackish water or can I just use my fresh water test kit plus a refractometer to check salinity?

I appreciate any advise you can give me.

Thank you,
Stephanie
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Help: GSP in full marine water or brackish?

Post by Pufferpunk »

You would be best to set up a marine tank for it, using live rock/sand & a protein skimmer: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15647
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
AZL
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United Kingdom

Post by AZL »

I took Pufferpunk's advice as well as that of others and set up full marine for my two GSP's. 5 weeks on they seem happy and the live rock along with its clean up crew deal with their mess very well, the water stay pristine. I'm fairly new to fish keeping, a freshwater community tank was re-homed with me just a few months before the puffers, but so far have found marine much nicer to work with.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Yay! So how have you set it up?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"