Long time no see! Possible Saba Puffer???

Share your puffer photos and videos with the world!
Forum rules
Showing off your puffer pals? Why not enter your photos into our Puffer of the Month contest?

Every month The Puffer Forum holds a photo contest featuring the puffers, burrfish, boxfish, tobies and other puffer family members photographed by members of this site. At the end of the year, the monthly winners will be entered into a Puffer of the Year contest! The POTY winner not only gets supreme bragging rights but also wins a $25 gift certificate to The Puffer Store.

Click HERE to learn how to join in this fun competition!
Infinity8
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: GSP- Burd
???- Tiberius the Tugboat
F8- Bonk
Potato Puffer- TBD, arriving 12/1
Location (country): United States

Long time no see! Possible Saba Puffer???

Post by Infinity8 »

HI EVERYONE!!

So after not posting for several years (moves, marriage, and job changes, oh my!), I'm so thrilled to see the community still thriving. I can't tell you how much having this place as a go-to for puffer knowledge has enriched my life- ...puffers may or may not have figured heavily in our wedding last year :)

We lost my beloved F8, Feather, a few years ago when he jumped out of the tank while we were away. However, Burd the GSP is still going strong! AND...we have a new edition I'm very excited about.

We happened to be wandering our local fish store a few weeks ago and came across what they thought were the biggest GSPs they'd ever gotten in. A week later, we had to go back for one. After looking around at some threads here, I'm fairly certain our beautiful big boy is in fact, a Giant Spotted/Saba Puffer? His patterning seems different from our tiny (but furious) GSP, and the spotting continues onto his tail. He's about 6" head to end of tail. Anyone have thoughts?

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Long time no see! Possible Saba Puffer???

Post by Pufferpunk »

Very possible but looks like an adult GSP to me. Does it have the "green" spot on its head?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Infinity8
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: GSP- Burd
???- Tiberius the Tugboat
F8- Bonk
Potato Puffer- TBD, arriving 12/1
Location (country): United States

Re: Long time no see! Possible Saba Puffer???

Post by Infinity8 »

Yes and no? Sometimes he seems like he's got a bit of a glint, but nothing like the highlight our GSP has. His belly is dark more often and not (seems lighting/behavior related), and despite the lighting in the one picture he tends toward a more yellowish hue. I was more curious just because of how blotchy his patterning seems, going off that old thread of Hilly's.

Either way, thrilled to have 'im! Wonder how old he is? Burd is around 4ish, but topped out at 3 inches despite a 45 to himself and stepping up to full marine. :?:

I appreciate you taking the time to take a look! Thanks for providing such an awesome resource. I can't tell you the number of aspiring puffer keepers I've been able to point in this direction.