New puffer tank question

Discuss & learn about Mbu, Fahaka, Mappa & other giant puffers.
Jokerswild4
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Benton , il USA

New puffer tank question

Post by Jokerswild4 »

I've just bought a fahaka puffer today he was in a small 10 gallon at the lfs. I have him in a 30 gallon with my pleco. And he is just kinda hiding, I'm sure he's kinda stressed from being in a new environment, but I've never owned one before. I do have places for him to hide. He will only be in the 30 gallon for about 3 wks. Then he will have his own large tank, as I know he will get very big. The lfs said he would be fine for now even until Feb in the 30 gallon, he has one in a 75 at the store. But I'd rather get him in a larger tank asap. Is this behavior normal? Also I have about 2 inches of play sand in there is that to much for him should I take out some or is that ok?
ARKproject
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Ontario, Canada

Re: New puffer tank question

Post by ARKproject »

I bought one early July and he spent the first week hiding. He's always out now looking for food. Most fish hide when stressed or put in a new tank.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
It does take a lil while for them to adjust to new surroundings. Mine wouldn't eat for the 1st 3 days I got him. Make sure the tank is heavily decorated, so he feels safe enough to come out.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Jokerswild4
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Benton , il USA

Post by Jokerswild4 »

Thanks everyone. He is eating and im going to add more plants today. I know he will need a large large tank like 125 ish. I have found a tank but it's back home by my moms. I'm headed up there at xmas but in the mean time I found a great deal that I picked up last night on a 60 hex and a 45 g. I was going to move him to the hex for a while but Im not sure that shape would be good for him given the shape... any thoughts?