Cycling a tank for a mbu / fahaka

Discuss & learn about Mbu, Fahaka, Mappa & other giant puffers.
NJD
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): UK

Cycling a tank for a mbu / fahaka

Post by NJD »

Hi all

The first few tanks for my fish room should be here in the next few weeks, there will be a 6x4x2 for a mb u and a 6x2x2 potentially for a fahaka.

Given the nature of these fish they are best going into a mature tank. Is there any way to cycle these in a few weeks or would i be best buying way goldfish to keep in these tanks for a few months whilst the cycle process works? What have you guys done in the past?

Thanks
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Cycling a tank for a mbu / fahaka

Post by Pufferpunk »

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
NJD
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by NJD »

Thanks Puffer Punk,

Based on my reading I am thinking of keeping the MBU in a smaller tank in order to quarantine/de-worm. That way my large tank can cycle whilst I 'prep' him for a move to his bigger tank.

Would a 180l be big enough for a juvenile mbu (somewhere between 2 and 6 inches depending on what I can get) with strong filtration and a 3ft foot print be ok?

This tank is already cycled and has strong filtration. Plan to do 10-20% water changes every other day.

I'll then put some goldfish in the big tank for 4-8 weeks to help the cycle process before I move those out and move the MBU in.

Thanks..
NJD
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by NJD »

Hi all,

Apologies I feel like I have driven the forum mad about my potential MBU puffer.

The main tank is hopefully coming in 4-5 weeks time. Then will need cycling for another 4-8 weeks.

I have a quarantine / deworming tank ready, in the end I’ve gone for a 240L. Managed to get a good deal second hand that still has fish in it so already cycled (will be trading the existing fish in). From reading in the library (thanks pufferpunk!) I have a full de-worming schedule well planned and have sourced the various medications.

When buying my MBU - anything in particular i should look out for in a ‘good specimen’? There is one in a LFS fairly local to me. They have had it for 2-3 months and it has grown to about 6 inches, apparently eating well. In a way I’d like to rescue him as the guy in the shop tried to sell me a 220Litre (yes litre not gallons!!) and told me that this would be fine for life for the MBU!!! Don’t want to see how thing will end for this poor puffer if it is not rescued soon.

There is another shop about 2 hours away that always has them in, and I trust them far more. But if the local one is a good specimen then why not I suppose? Any advice on what to look for?

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Obviously, find one with a convex belly. Also, see if it will greet you at the front of the tank. Just like buying a puppy, they all have different personalities.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"