Fahaka and Mbu in new fish room

Discuss & learn about Mbu, Fahaka, Mappa & other giant puffers.
NJD
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): UK

Fahaka and Mbu in new fish room

Post by NJD »

Hi all!

As mentioned in a previous post I am in the process of setting up a fish room!

I’m in the process of getting quotes for some custom tanks and had some questions to run past the puffer experts!

I am planning to set up a number of tanks, but my first priority after ‘upsizing’ my palembangs is a couple of big puffers that I want to sort first and then design the rest of the room around them!

Fahaka:
I’m looking at getting 6ft x 2ft x 2ft. I plan to put in a baby fahaka.

Can these be kept in pairs? At least when juveniles? I appreciate these are one of the most aggressive puffers, however thought I’d ask as not seen much written with regards to these being in groups.

Mbu:
I have been debating on and off whether to get a custom tank made for a Mbu and whether I am ready to take on the responsibility!! It is a big challenge, however I think the Mbu is the ‘ultimate’ in terms of freshwater fish and so really want to make it happen if I can!

If I go ahead - I am thinking about having and 8ft x 4ft x 4 ft made. If I struggle in terms of measurements - would I get away with 8 x 3 x 3? or would that be too tight to turn around for the Mbu?

Additionally, I know these guys grow fast, however I think it would look lost to put a 1-2 inch baby fish in a 8 x 4 x 4. Could I put this in a 6 x 2 x 2 for a year or so until he’s a foot long and then move to 8 x 4 x 4 (or 8 x 3 x 3)? I’ll leave a wall free ready for 8 x 4 x 4 so will be all ready for him when he’s big enough. (I am expecting some people to say that putting in a massive tank from being a baby is not an issue, even if so – would 6x2x2 be ok for a 12-18 months?)

Final questions (for now!) is about filtration:

For my current tank I have 8-10x flow rate per hour. For these bigger tank how is that possible? Do you use pond filters?

Also what is the most efficient way to heat these size tanks?

Also from my research a lot of puffers prefer slower water, if you need such a high flow rate per hour – how can you also a achieve slow water?

Thanks all!!

Also any other general tips in terms of setting up a fish room will be appreciated!!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Fahaka and Mbu in new fish room

Post by Pufferpunk »

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
NJD
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): UK

Re: Fahaka and Mbu in new fish room

Post by NJD »

Further to the above. For the mbu - am I better off with a 6x2x2 that I will feasibly be able to maintain better that willing last 2-3 years or a 6x,4x2 that will last longer but will be harder to maintain in that I'll have less outlay for filtration etc...