Is my tank big enough for keeping an Mbu for life?

Discuss & learn about Mbu, Fahaka, Mappa & other giant puffers.
JLight
Puffer Fry
Location (country): England

Is my tank big enough for keeping an Mbu for life?

Post by JLight »

Hello,

I have a 1700 litre aquarium, with 1350 litres of it being available to my fish (the rest of the volume is the sump system). I also have an additional 375 litres aquarium being plumped in in series in the next month to increase the overall volume upping the tank to 2000 litres total. The dimensions of the tank available to my fish is 11.5 feet long, 20" wide and 30" tall.

I was wondering if anyone could advise me if this tank is suitable for an Mbu puffer for life? It would be awful to have to re-home one if he was to outgrow my tank. My concern is the width being only 20". I was hoping the length and height would make up for it but wanted to see what people had to say!

I would consider a Fahaka puffer due to the smaller size but I believe that may not end well for my other fish!

Thank you!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Is my tank big enough for keeping an Mbu for life?

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
Considering your tank is only 20" wide & a mbu can grow to 36", there'd be no way for it to turn around in there. Fahaka would be much happier in this tank.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
JLight
Puffer Fry

Post by JLight »

Thanks for replying. Yeah, an Mbu really wouldn't be happy long term. I probably should have realised that myself but seeing the size differences written out like that puts it into perspective better! I will look into other species that can work. From what I've gathered a Fahaka will probably kill tank mates. Perhaps a group of South American puffers would fit into the community better. I'll have to research the species!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I didn't realize there were tank mates. You are correct about that. I don't recommend SAPs in a large tank, because there is too much competition for food & they need snails for 90% of their diet. What about Spotted Congos? They have just made their way back into the aquarium market recently.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Post by hadla »

Geez 11.5 feet long o.o
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR
JLight
Puffer Fry

Post by JLight »

Hi Pufferpunk, I'm really sorry I hadn't replied, I actually hadn't realised they're had been another message. Thank you for the suggestion, my LFS does have a Tetraodon schoutedeni in at the moment if that is the spotted Congo puffer you were referring too. I will have to look into this species a little more but it does seem a lot more appropriate! Advice taken about the SAPs, I won't go for them.
Hi hadla, yeah it is pretty long! Although, to be honest I think I'd happily sacrifice some of the length to make it wider front to back!
Mbumadlady
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Wales, United kingdom

Post by Mbumadlady »

I'm glad you've decided against it. I've just moved my mbu out of a tank that was 20" wide and should have done it much sooner, he couldn't turn around without his tail being bent back,
astrid37
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Seven T. schoutedeni
Location (country): US

Post by astrid37 »

The T. schoutedeni are a lot of fun! I have six in a 125gal, and they each have their own personalities. Would definitely recommend them.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

This thread is from 2017