Page 1 of 1
New to the forum with fangs puffers
Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:00 am
by Solocup
Hello. I'm new to the forum and bought 4 fangs puffers about a month ago. They're in a 55 gallon tank with lots of spider drift wood and real plants. They seem very happy and are eating a lot. I'm looking for some more information on these because my google searches have came up short with very little information about these cool puffers. I spent a lot of money buying these online and would like to keep them as happy and healthy as possible.
Re: New to the forum with fangs puffers
Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:35 pm
by Pufferpunk
Expect to only have 1 left, maybe 0. These puffers don't play well with others. I do hope your tank is HEAVILY decorated, breaking up lines of sight. I don't think this will end well though.
Re: New to the forum with fangs puffers
Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:32 am
by Solocup
That's sad to hear. Why do you think they will probably die? I know that puffers in general are nippers but, these hide about 75% of the time and don't really come out until they're hungry. The tank is heavily decorated. I have about $200 worth of drift wood and 8 + species of plants. Also, no other fish in the tank.
Re: New to the forum with fangs puffers
Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:22 pm
by Pufferpunk
They do not do well with conspecifics. Best kept as singletons.
Re: New to the forum with fangs puffers
Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:03 am
by Solocup
That really sucks... I have a spare 10 gallon and a 20 gallon tall. Could they survive if i split them up in 3 tanks
Re: New to the forum with fangs puffers
Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:52 pm
by Pufferpunk
Of course.
Re: New to the forum with fangs puffers
Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:26 am
by Solocup
Thanks for the information. i will keep you updated with how they're doing
Re: New to the forum with fangs puffers
Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:55 am
by Bleedingheartmommy
Yes, I have a cochi, I bought him to save his sibling at the LFS. They had already killed the 3rd puff that WAS in the tank.... they are very aggressive, especially to other Cochinchinensis, and are usually fight to the death types. They can go in a tank as small as a 20gallon, though I recommend long vs tall. Many places say 15g min, but Owning one myself, I would say no less then 20gal. Admittedly tho, (Mad) Max is VERY active (uncommon for lurkers) and still rather small (1.75"), so he may even need more space than the 20 long he is currently in, but from my knowledge and experience they will use all the room.