Switch to 38G bow.....

Tain't fresh, and tain't marine! Talk about brackish setups.
River4R
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Switch to 38G bow.....

Post by River4R »

Hi ladies and gents! I've been lurking and soaking up as much info as I can for a while now and have some water readings to spit out. I have 1 GSP (2 inches roughly) and 1 lowly fish store saved F8 (very small and emaciated) that I've switched over to a 38G Marineland bow front. Half inch argonite substrate with 3 large river rocks and at 1.004 salinity, temp 78. Running an Aquaclear 70 along with a power head.

I kept my cycled sand and filter of course and about 10 gallons of previous tank water (as well as a live plant).

A day later my readings look like this:
Ammonia .5
PH 7.8
Nitirite .5
Nitrate 0

GSP is acting sluggish which I assume is because of the ammonia; thinking of a 50% water change and add more Prime.

Thoughts?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Switch to 38G bow.....

Post by Pufferpunk »

Keep up with as large & as often WC as is necessary to keep the ammonia/nitrite as close to 0 as possible. You could try Safestart, as the SG is so low or lower it even further, until the parameters are stable.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
River4R
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Post by River4R »

Did a 25% water change and added a bottle of Safestart....not Safestart plus though, not sure if that'll matter. I also have Prime.....do you recommend one over the other?

Also added a second filter, the 200 BioWheel that came with the bow front. Not a fan of this filter versus my Aquaclear but it'll do for now. Gives me 500 GPH combined with the AQ70. Does anyone know if I can fill it with the same media material as what's in my AQ70?

My GSP seems to be jetting around the tank now like he normally does so that's a good sign. I'll test my water again tomorrow. Thanks.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Safestart & Prime are 2 totally different products.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Blinkey
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 1x Green spotted pufferfish
Location (country): New Zealand

Post by Blinkey »

I wouldn't keep a GSP and fig. 8 together long-term, as they require different salt levels. The GSP will also likely end up becoming aggressive to the fig. 8. Is this currently a temporary arrangement?
"Life, uh, finds a way"