Page 1 of 1

New from VA

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:06 pm
by Galen1
Hi all! I have been lurking and reading and learning on this site for a while. Time to say hi! Today I got my first puffer.

I have been keeping and breeding fish for about 4 years. It all started as a "gift" aquarium idea with a few PetSmart fish for one of my sons (no real interest there however) and morphed into a full-fledged hobby for me. Most of my fish are/were cichlids from Lake Tanganyika, Lake Victoria, Lake Barombi Mbo and West African rivers. Most are also on the CARES conservation list. So, I feel I did my little part in spreading a few endangered/critical fish to other keepers throughout the US. I needed to take a break from all the breeding/fry raising/selling and have really pared down my "collection" to only 2 species.

Now I have some empty tank space and decided to look for something REALLY different. I was fascinated by arowanas, but decided I would never have the space for such a huge tank. So...somehow I became enamored with puffers. With the help of this great site, I narrowed it down to freshwater species and ended up with.........a dragon puffer. Will work on a name soon.

He/she arrived today and seems to be doing fine after a careful acclimation to his 40B. He hasn't moved at all (except for his eyes :smitten: ), so I'll give him some time in the dark to get his bearings. Hopefully all will go well and he'll start to eat.

Image
Image
Image

Re: New from VA

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:35 pm
by Pufferpunk
[welcome]
Thank you for what you do for endangered species!
You'll have to upload your photos to Photobucket & line them here for us to see.

Re: New from VA

Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:15 am
by Galen1
Thanks! Had fun with the CARES fish for a while. Lots of fry to spread around.
Sorry about the puffer pics. Accidentally moved to new folder and messed it up...Fixed now, I think.

Tried to feed an earthworm. Not sure if he ate it, or it slithered away and hid somewhere. The puffer likes to hang out in a log and came out to explore the tank quite a bit last night when the lights went out. I dangled a piece of thawed people shrimp, but he wasn't interested. I'll try the earthworm again this am, if not I might get a few (gut-loaded) ghost shrimp and see if he goes for them.

Re: New from VA

Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:37 pm
by Galen1
I'm not sure what happened to my most recent post (MIA), but oh well...

Anyway, I got my new dragon puffer to eat an earthworm and some chunks out of a "human" shrimp. So, I guess we are getting somewhere. He likes to hang out in a log, so I am going to try to entice him to actually come out in the open and eat.

Re: New from VA

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:00 pm
by Pufferpunk
Sometimes I miss new posts that need approval. It stops the spammers from getting in. ;)