Page 1 of 1

Hello from sunny Island of Singapore

Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:43 pm
by Ipit
Hello fellow pufferians :P. i'm from Singapore and i just began keeping puffer. Right now i have a Fahaka Puffer, approximately 2" and an Asellus Puffer also approximately 2". They are housed separately right now.

This is the Fahaka's Tank.
Image

Image

I'm trying to get him used to the planted setup as i will eventually move him into my main planted tank. Don't worry about the discus, as i'm still in the midst of tring to sell them :)
Image

The Asellus Puffer is currently in a quarantine tank. I bought him last Sunday. I have started to deworm him and yesterday when i returned home from work i saw some white spots on him. so i have switched on the heater and dosed some medication for ICH. All should be ok i guess :) will take of photo of him once he is all well

I am really looking forward to uncover, learn and understand more about puffers from the more experienced aquarist here.

Re: Hello from sunny Island of Singapore

Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:48 pm
by Pufferpunk
[welcome]
How long has that fahaka been with the discus?

Re: Hello from sunny Island of Singapore

Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:07 am
by Ipit
Pufferpunk wrote:[welcome]
How long has that fahaka been with the discus?
The fahaka is currently in the 2ft tank while I sell off the discus. So they are not housed together

Re: Hello from sunny Island of Singapore

Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:30 am
by Ipit
The Fahaka is not housed with the Discus. The fahaka is in a growout tank with some plants, the main planted tank where the discus is now is the final tank for the Fahaka once the Discus is sold.

I doubt the Fahaka can get along with the Discus once he is much bigger, i have read quite alot about Fahaka's aggressive behaviour on the PufferPedia and the Puffer Library. WHat do you think? can them live in harmony ?

Re: Hello from sunny Island of Singapore

Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:52 am
by Ipit
The Fahaka is in it's own 2ft tank for now. I'm trying to climatise him to the planted environmet - co2 injection and Fertilisation dosing

He will eventually be placed in my main planted tank after the discus has been sold

Actually, given your experience, what is your views if they are housed together. I have read the PufferPedia and Puffer Library that Fahakas are aggressive and will attack its tank mates..

Re: Hello from sunny Island of Singapore

Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:40 am
by scpion
PP, I dun think the Fahaka is with the discus. Think they are in a different tank.

Hey Ipit! Welcome here. Not many puffer enthusiast in Singapore...

THe Fahaka looks to be in a 2 feet thank. Needs upgrading very soon. Well my experience with Fahaka is that do destroy almost everything.. that includes live plants.. and when juvenile, they sometimes burrow. So if you are using soil for your tank, its probably not a very good idea.

For SAP, they get ich almost everytime they are moved. Look for the heat and salt treatment in this site, avoid meds for puffers whenever possible.

Have fun!

Re: Hello from sunny Island of Singapore

Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:47 am
by Pufferpunk
If you like dead discus, then by all means, house them together--NOT! ;)

I thought it was difficult to get FW species of puffers in Singapore? I actually had 2 juvies shipped there from Chicago about 15 years ago.

Re: Hello from sunny Island of Singapore

Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:12 am
by scpion
Not at all. Many are readily available and being a small country, its means getting there/them is easy. Most FW species in the trade are available, though some are seasonal.

Re: Hello from sunny Island of Singapore

Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:59 am
by Ipit
Yup the current discus tank will belong to the fahaka once they are sold.

Oh dear. Looks like I have to do some Reno work on the discus tank. Ripping off everything is not what I want to hear hahaha.

FW puffers are available in Singapore. Yes they are seasonal.. Unfortunately some of the brackish water ones are being sold as FW puffers.
Red eye
Fahaka
Mbu
Green spotted
Asellus
Figure of 8
Dwarf Puffer

This are the common ones that you will see from time to time.

Re: Hello from sunny Island of Singapore

Posted: Tue May 05, 2015 11:48 pm
by Ipit
Here's the revamped Fahaka tank. Pardon the image quality and the cloudy water as the substrate has just been added

Image

Re: Hello from sunny Island of Singapore

Posted: Wed May 06, 2015 12:01 am
by Pufferpunk
Needs some caves.

Re: Hello from sunny Island of Singapore

Posted: Thu May 28, 2015 3:55 pm
by TheStig
Greetings and salutations, from another Singaporean! I am currently based in California, but it is always nice to see a fellow countryman anywhere!