Hi everyone, setting up a puffer tank
Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:33 am
Hi everyone!
Can i firstly say this forum is great, a fantastic resource in helping me set up my first puffer tank.
I've been keeping fish since I was a child, started with tropicals and have since moved onto fancy goldfish, I have a 600l tank in my livingroom with 9 of them in, love them to bits but now I am looking for a new challenge.
I have recently bought a second hand 225l cube tank and my plan is to set up a brackish tank and stock it with 3 F8 puffers plus some bumblebee gobies and possibly a couple of orange chromides, that should suffice as far as capacity is concerned, I realise there is certainly the potential of aggression in that setup but I have heard mixed opinions on F8's tolerating gobies / chromides, some good / some bad so I would welcome anyone's personal experience with this.
I've bought my aragonite sand, set-up my Eheim 2217 filter, bought some beautiful rock to try my hand at an Iwagumi landscape and I'm about to start the fishless cycle, going to cycle it as a freeshwater tank and then slowly bring it up to 1.003 salinity, have already contacted a local aquatics who stocks F8's and he keeps his in brackish water (unusual for an LFS!).
All I need now is a refractometer / condensation cover / heater and and food of course!
As this is my first venture into brackish and keeping puffers I would welcome any input / opinions.
Looking forward to getting to know you all!
maccyg
Can i firstly say this forum is great, a fantastic resource in helping me set up my first puffer tank.
I've been keeping fish since I was a child, started with tropicals and have since moved onto fancy goldfish, I have a 600l tank in my livingroom with 9 of them in, love them to bits but now I am looking for a new challenge.
I have recently bought a second hand 225l cube tank and my plan is to set up a brackish tank and stock it with 3 F8 puffers plus some bumblebee gobies and possibly a couple of orange chromides, that should suffice as far as capacity is concerned, I realise there is certainly the potential of aggression in that setup but I have heard mixed opinions on F8's tolerating gobies / chromides, some good / some bad so I would welcome anyone's personal experience with this.
I've bought my aragonite sand, set-up my Eheim 2217 filter, bought some beautiful rock to try my hand at an Iwagumi landscape and I'm about to start the fishless cycle, going to cycle it as a freeshwater tank and then slowly bring it up to 1.003 salinity, have already contacted a local aquatics who stocks F8's and he keeps his in brackish water (unusual for an LFS!).
All I need now is a refractometer / condensation cover / heater and and food of course!
As this is my first venture into brackish and keeping puffers I would welcome any input / opinions.
Looking forward to getting to know you all!
maccyg
![welcome [welcome]](./images/smilies/welcome.gif)