Page 1 of 1

New dwarf puffers not eating...

Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:34 pm
by jcb
Hi...

I recently purchased 4 dwarf puffers and have them in a 10 gallon quarantine tank. It is an established tank, heavily planted. They appear to be 3 females and 1 male. I've had them 2 days now, and haven't seen them eat anything. I've offered frozen/thawed bloodworms, free dried bloodworms, freeze dried Daphnia and even some snails. They show great interest in food, but don't actually eat it. I have 2 others in a 30 gallon tank that they will eventually join. These 2 are pigs and have been since day one. They are otherwise active and interested in what's going on around them.

Water parameters: temp 78F, pH 7.0, ammonia/nitrite/nitrate 0. CaribSea sand substrate.
Low water flow.

Any suggestions on getting these little buggers to eat?!

Thanks in advance-

Jo

Re: New dwarf puffers not eating...

Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:44 pm
by bertie 83
It's not uncommon for puffers to refuse food to start with, they may be eating it when you are not looking? How do their tummys look?

Re: New dwarf puffers not eating...

Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:52 pm
by jcb
Bellies are about the same as when they arrived. Tonight they are pacing up and down the glass at their reflections. I feed only 1-2 bloodworms per DP at a time and can pretty much count that they are still there in the morning. It's possible they are getting little bites of the snails, but they've actually shown no interest in them while I've been around (vs my other two who are obsessed with them!). Might look for some live food tomorrow to see if that catches their fancy.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Jo

Re: New dwarf puffers not eating...

Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:59 pm
by bertie 83
Try adding some fresh garlic (crushed) with the food as it thaws. It's irresistible to puffers

Re: New dwarf puffers not eating...

Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:27 am
by jcb
Thanks, will do. I have some Garlic Guard in the mean time. Two of them snatched up a couple of thawed frozen bloodworms soaked in it. I have some blackworms on order from www.aquaticfoods.com heading their way. If it's not moving, they lose interest pretty quickly. Picky little buggers!!

Jo

Re: New dwarf puffers not eating...

Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:17 pm
by jcb
Well, let's just say that live food brings out a whole other side to them! I found some blackworms at a LFS while waiting for my online order. They went puffer psycho on them :) Hoping to maintain a blackworm mini farm to keep their bellies full.

-jo

Re: New dwarf puffers not eating...

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:23 pm
by Pufferpunk
Those prices are insane! I used to get 1lb for <20 at my LFS but now it's ~$23. I'm afraid when I move to SC soon, I may have to do it your way. :(

Re: New dwarf puffers not eating...

Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:32 am
by Pufferpunk
Found this supplier, too: http://organicblackworms.com/