Page 1 of 1
Puffer Newbie Here to Learn!
Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:38 am
by Cabaret
I have LOVED Puffers since I first "met" one at the aquarium as a kid. They seem so silly, and yet so intelligent and intriguing. Currently my only aquarium experience is with betta fish (my boys live in 2.5--10gal freshwater tanks), so I know I have a LOT to learn before I get my first Puffer. However, I am very eager to learn and I hope I'll be a good Puffer Mama when I get the chance.

I am hoping to get a Dog Face Puffer as soon as I have learned as much as I can about them, and after I have acquired an appropriately sized aquarium (not currently in my budget, but soon... hopefully!). I look forward to meeting the Puffer enthusiasts in this forum, and I thank you kindly for reading my introduction. =)
- Cabaret
Re: Puffer Newbie Here to Learn!
Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:58 am
by bertie 83
Welcome to the forum
Re: Puffer Newbie Here to Learn!
Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:20 am
by Pufferpunk
There is a LOT to learn about SW. Totally different than FW.
Re: Puffer Newbie Here to Learn!
Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:50 pm
by DMD123
Betta to large saltwater puffer is a pretty big step. There are lots of choices in easier to care for puffers that are freshwater to get you started on the path to eventually getting your dream puffer. With a 30-40 gallon tank you could get yourself an arrowhead, Congo, hairy or humpback. These are pretty easy to care for puffers to begin that have some decent size and personality to them.
Re: Puffer Newbie Here to Learn!
Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:11 pm
by Welch4
Welcome! The above are good recommendations. It is a huge gap between a betta fish and a saltwater puffer. A freshwater puffer would be a great starting point.
Re: Puffer Newbie Here to Learn!
Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:13 am
by Pufferpunk
Another great idea is to get yourself a GSP & as it grows, start moving it up to SW. That's how I got into SW myself!

Re: Puffer Newbie Here to Learn!
Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:00 am
by hadla
Welcome and glad to see you keep bettas properly and not in a betta vase or in those dumb containers that don't even hold half a gallon of water... Like pp said it might be easiest to get a gsp that's in freshwater and slowly move to sw... But I got mine already in saltwater and I'm glad I didn't have to go through the process of raising the sg!
Re: Puffer Newbie Here to Learn!
Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:36 pm
by Welch4
I found the transition from bw to sw cumbersome but it did give me ample time to research equpiment and maintenance needs for the tank.