Page 1 of 1

Allow myself to introduce myself...

Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:20 pm
by jasone510
Greetings everyone! I am new to puffers, but I have kept quite a few different fish tanks in my younger years. I've had an Oscar, Green Terrors, Red Belly Piranhas, Bichirs, Gold Wolffish, and a pair Dwarf Snakeheads, not all in the same tank of course!

While all of those species were interesting and fun to keep, I've always had my eye on keeping a Fahaka Puffer. I wish I could say that I have a 120+ gallon cycling/waiting for one, but unfortunately I do not have the space or $$$ for it. However, I have a deal in line for an acrylic 55 gallon tank. I've been lurking for the past week researching different types of medium sized puffers to keep and have narrowed it down to the following:

1. Ceylon Puffer (Tetraodon Fluviatilis) - Love the coloring/pattern, size, active demeanor, and the fact it is not so common
2. Green Spotted Puffer - Same as above, but don't like that they are so common (not that big of a deal)
3. (3) Figure 8 Puffers - I really want a 6"+ puffer, but three of these guys look entertaining
4. Arrowhead Puffer - Looks like a mean little guy, like the size, but worried it may be too inactive

As far as tank setup, I don't mind brackish or full saltwater, but if it's full salt I will just do FO. I basically want a medium sized puffer that is similar in demeanor to a Fahaka. I am open to suggestions!

Re: Allow myself to introduce myself...

Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:33 pm
by Welch4
Welcome to the forum. I can't comment as far as the tempermant of the ceylon or arrowhead but the GSP is very active, tons of personality, and aggressive at feeding times if that was what you were looking for.

Re: Allow myself to introduce myself...

Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:39 pm
by Arny
If it were me I'd go for the Ceylon Puffer. A 55g tank is a nice size for one. Also they get a little bit bigger than a gsp reaching 8 inches

Re: Allow myself to introduce myself...

Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:59 pm
by bertie 83
I would also go Ceylon, same sort of personality as a gsp but a little larger. Not quite as mean as a fahaka though. Welcome to the forum

Re: Allow myself to introduce myself...

Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:29 pm
by jasone510
bertie 83 wrote:I would also go Ceylon, same sort of personality as a gsp but a little larger. Not quite as mean as a fahaka though. Welcome to the forum
Arny wrote:If it were me I'd go for the Ceylon Puffer. A 55g tank is a nice size for one. Also they get a little bit bigger than a gsp reaching 8 inches
That's what I'm thinking. Hopefully I can find one in my area. I have a long way to go still. I need to build a stand and gather all necessary equipment. Then cycle the tank...I cannot wait!

Re: Allow myself to introduce myself...

Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:47 pm
by sgtmyers88
I have always wanted to get a Ceylon. But they seem very hard to find around my neck of the woods.

Re: Allow myself to introduce myself...

Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:07 am
by DMD123
Welcome!

Re: Allow myself to introduce myself...

Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:31 pm
by Master of Puffers
Bonjour et bienvenue...

Are you a man of wealth and taste?? Or is that just my Rolling Stones ear-worm causing problems.. :shock: