Page 1 of 1

Dead live shrimps for feeding...

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:28 pm
by Ti_CLaD
I went on a fishing trip in the Gulf of Saint Lawrence and figured while i'm there might has well grab some shrimps and mussel for my figure 8... It was a long 10hres drive plus the rest areas and luch breaks... So on the 50 something shrimps I got like 10 that are surviving... Each time I stopped I gave them "new" water from the same region I had picked them up that I had bottled but guess that wasn't enough...

My question is, since they died within say a 12hres window, I have put them in the freezer right now, could I still feed them to the puffer after like a 2-3weeks in the freezer, since they didn't die of disease??? Or maybe I shouldn't risk it for what it's worth??? The mussles seem to have survived so they went in the freezer and they will be puffer food in a few weeks...

Has for the few that survived, the water SG where I picked them is 0.010 and mine is 0.004... Can I slowly get them to water tolerence and them just toss them in the aquarium and let them live there until the puffer finds(eats) them or is that a bad idea too for bacteria concerns???

Re: Dead live shrimps for feeding...

Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:21 am
by RTR
I can only speak for myself, but I would never under any circumstances feed inverts which had been dead up to 12 hours without refrigeration or freezing to anything. Unrefrigerated or unfrozen "fresh" food is not food, it is garbage.

IMH & IME, YMMV

Re: Dead live shrimps for feeding...

Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:56 am
by Ti_CLaD
Alright, note to self, freeze before leaving next time... too late now... has for the few that survived and are still swimming, can I just toss them in the aquarium for the puffer to chase them or just freeze and feed???

Re: Dead live shrimps for feeding...

Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:18 am
by Pufferpunk
Freeze 1st.

Re: Dead live shrimps for feeding...

Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:53 pm
by DMD123
With the possibility of parasites or other little hitchhikers being introduced to the tank, do not put them in there alive. As suggested freeze them first.

Re: Dead live shrimps for feeding...

Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:58 pm
by Ti_CLaD
Well, that's what I did, I got rid of the dead ones and froze the ones that were still living... Thanks... :)