Hello from a new member
Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:32 am
Hi,
Trevor here, I've kept fish all of my life pretty much, mainly pond fish and have a pretty nice Koi collection and large pond.
I've also had several aquariums, both marine and tropical, but after several years, as my favourite fish start to die and so on lose interest and move on.
Always loved puffers but thought they were way too complicated to keep but have spent weeks reading and realised that isn't true, just demanding.
We've got a normal large tropical tank downstairs with all the predictable fish in but my wife suggested we got a spare tank made up for the bedroom just for decor. And I decided that was my puffer excuse, that was a 20 gallon tank, all setup and ready to go with one of the large canisters taken from the tropical and water transferred so nicely cycled and I decided I needed green spotted puffers. We went to see them and my wife loved them too, so after a few days on gumtree I managed to get a 60 gallon Hex tank for a really stupid price. Got it all setup and tested and we are now the proud owners of 4 baby GSPs. I know I will have to rehome them as they grow larger but that's just an excuse to get more tanks
Depending on how we get on with these there are definite plans for a Nile puffer too, but need to make sure that I'm happy with how the GSPs are doing and that 20 gallon tank could well have a figure 8 occupant.
Actually beginning to wish, although it looks lovely and some adorable fish, we hadn't setup the big tropical, good starting place for the Nile.
Still reading everything I can find but I'm sure there's loads of questions too.
Seems to be some debate on whether the GSPs NEED brackish, marine or freshwater, with the majority coming down on the side of at least brackish. Be interesting to hear any actual side by side studies to see the difference, without that I'll be going for brackish as they seem happy in that. My fish store, pretty big and well respected, sold them as freshwater fish that will tolerate brackish conditions.
Trevor
Trevor here, I've kept fish all of my life pretty much, mainly pond fish and have a pretty nice Koi collection and large pond.
I've also had several aquariums, both marine and tropical, but after several years, as my favourite fish start to die and so on lose interest and move on.
Always loved puffers but thought they were way too complicated to keep but have spent weeks reading and realised that isn't true, just demanding.
We've got a normal large tropical tank downstairs with all the predictable fish in but my wife suggested we got a spare tank made up for the bedroom just for decor. And I decided that was my puffer excuse, that was a 20 gallon tank, all setup and ready to go with one of the large canisters taken from the tropical and water transferred so nicely cycled and I decided I needed green spotted puffers. We went to see them and my wife loved them too, so after a few days on gumtree I managed to get a 60 gallon Hex tank for a really stupid price. Got it all setup and tested and we are now the proud owners of 4 baby GSPs. I know I will have to rehome them as they grow larger but that's just an excuse to get more tanks
Depending on how we get on with these there are definite plans for a Nile puffer too, but need to make sure that I'm happy with how the GSPs are doing and that 20 gallon tank could well have a figure 8 occupant.
Actually beginning to wish, although it looks lovely and some adorable fish, we hadn't setup the big tropical, good starting place for the Nile.
Still reading everything I can find but I'm sure there's loads of questions too.
Seems to be some debate on whether the GSPs NEED brackish, marine or freshwater, with the majority coming down on the side of at least brackish. Be interesting to hear any actual side by side studies to see the difference, without that I'll be going for brackish as they seem happy in that. My fish store, pretty big and well respected, sold them as freshwater fish that will tolerate brackish conditions.
Trevor
![welcome [welcome]](./images/smilies/welcome.gif)