Page 1 of 3
New to the forum
Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:49 pm
by DMD123
Been a lurker but finally decided it was time to join up. I do not own a puffer (yet) but am here to learn and get to know you guys.
A little about me, I have been keeping fish for the past five years or so after a 20+ year time away from the hobby. I started back in with a 65g breeder tank I found on Craigslist and soon realized I had missed the hobby and jumped back in. Many upgrades later... I have a 210g, 72g bowfront and a 40B. I am mostly a cichlid guy but have a few bichirs also. Been really considering a puffer now for about a year, but want to make sure I do this right.
So I hope to get to know you guys and look forward to your advice.
Re: New to the forum
Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:56 pm
by bertie 83
Welcome, puffers are very rewarding wet pets
Re: New to the forum
Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:07 pm
by DMD123
Thank you for the welcome. I watched a Fahaka for quite a while in the store and watching it try and bite me through the glass was the moment I knew a puffer was in my future. Well not that big a puffer, but a puffer none the less.
Re: New to the forum
Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:09 pm
by sgtmyers88
Re: New to the forum
Posted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:15 am
by Pufferpunk
Aha, the fahaka sucked you in!
Meeeee too...

Re: New to the forum
Posted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:36 pm
by DMD123
The Fahaka knew exactly what was going on outside its tank and interacted with me quite a bit. Probably on par with my cichlids if not more so.
Re: New to the forum
Posted: Wed May 14, 2014 8:14 pm
by bertie 83
They will watch your every move, if they think you are coming close to their home they will beg. By far the smartest fish you can keep
Re: New to the forum
Posted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:53 pm
by DMD123
The problem I see is that I will still want a Fahaka puffer somewhere along the line, so another tank would be required and I dont have any space for one and my wife would kill me. Im sure no one else has that problem....
But I should be happy with the three tanks I have, but there is always just that one other fish that you want to add....
Re: New to the forum
Posted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:14 pm
by bertie 83
If you only have three tanks why not just add one more? If you set it up whilst your wife is out and tell her you want her to have a fish it will be fine. It's a present. I did this and it worked once I had the fahaka, lol
Re: New to the forum
Posted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:28 am
by DMD123
A fourth tank would also include divorce papers Im afraid.

Re: New to the forum
Posted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:03 am
by Pufferpunk
That's why I have my own office/fishroom.
Re: New to the forum
Posted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:34 pm
by DMD123
Technically our 'home office' is for my wife's bookkeeping business. But my 72g bowfront and 40B are in there. My 210g is in 'her' living room.
I have to give her credit though, for a recent thing that happened. I got a new fish that was sick and at the same time ended up ordering some fish that were way too small to put in my tanks and she suggested getting the third tank to be able to house everything. At first I got a 26g bowfront but realized it was useless for me and even she agree it was too small. So I ended up getting the 40B with her approval. However the 40B stand does have room for a 29g or 20L underneath....

Re: New to the forum
Posted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:21 am
by RTR
Ha! I started out right... I had a dozen tank before I got married. Requiring a fish room was needed from the get-go.
Re: New to the forum
Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:24 pm
by DMD123
RTR wrote:Ha! I started out right... I had a dozen tank before I got married. Requiring a fish room was needed from the get-go.
I got back into fishkeeping after I was married for about 7 years. My wife has been extremely supportive of my hobby since then but really I dont see any more tanks coming into the house anytime soon. We have been talking of moving and I did mentioned that if we did I would like to have my own fish area, and she was not opposed to that.
Re: New to the forum
Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:53 pm
by bertie 83
Well best squeeze the extra tank in now, then the fish area is guaranteed lol. I feel your pain in needing to move, my fish room plan has recently been condemned unless I forward a planned move. I hate moving