Page 1 of 1

New to the forum

Posted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:07 pm
by Chelsea
Hi all,

I've had a Fahaka puffer for 2 years and he sadly passed away very recently due to a stressful move in which he was injured. It was devastating to lose him as he was such a personality in my home and I adored him. I got him as a baby and was excited to move him to a bigger tank, unfortunately now I have a larger, empty tank. I look forward to getting another Fahaka, likely as a baby, and starting him in this 70 gallon column for the first few years of his life or until I see he needs an upgrade.

Naturally, my last puffer was all cute and cuddles as he chased your visage at the edge of his tank and spat water for attention, but he was a vicious little guy who could not have any tank mates. I understand this is expected of Fahakas, but I am wondering if I start my new baby puffer if there is anything I can do to promote the possibility of tank mates? I am aware this will likely not work out, but I'd love to give it a shot.

Also, if there is any advice to be offered for Fahaka puffers, I am open to learning... I'd really like to avoid the heartache of losing another one! Right now my new tank is cycling, freshwater with a sump setup. pH is quite high with all RO water and I read he would prefer it in the 7 range, not entirely sure how to get it down there safely. My last puffer was strange in that he seemed to prefer a higher temperature water as well as higher pH or else he would hide all day and not be an active swimmer. He was also very small for his age despite good diet and a clean setup.

Here's my Poddler, RIP

Image

Re: New to the forum

Posted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:38 pm
by Pufferpunk
[welcome]
So sorry for your loss! He's VERY cute. I couldn't imagine losing my 15 year old fahaka, Filbert. I will be moving cross country by the end of the year & am already stressing out about how to move him safely.

I don't understand why you are using RO water? Is there something wrong with your tap source?

Re: New to the forum

Posted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:55 pm
by Chelsea
The place I buy all my fish stuff recommended RO water since the tap water here is very hard. I got my first puffer from them and he did very well in RO water, too. Is there a good reason to use tap for my new puffer, or should I just alter the pH with a pH lowering chemical and monitor it for water changes in the future?

Also, a 15 year old fahaka must be so beautiful. I hope your move goes well!

Re: New to the forum

Posted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:27 pm
by Pufferpunk
Of course they'll recommend that! And what do you pay them for it??? :?
Please just use tap water. Your puffer won't mind & it'll make your life much easier! Large weekly water changes are what's most important. Dechlor with Prime.

Re: New to the forum

Posted: Wed May 07, 2014 5:20 pm
by Stratters
Hello and welcome :D

Re: New to the forum

Posted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:43 pm
by bertie 83
Welcome to the forum. Pufferpunk is right they are just rinsing money from you. I would start your new fahaka in his forever home as they will reach over a foot in length in their first year with you.

Re: New to the forum

Posted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:38 pm
by sgtmyers88
Welcome. Sorry for your loss. :(