Page 1 of 1

GSP diet

Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:11 am
by AnneMarie
I am breeding ramshorn snails and ghost shrimp for my future GSP. How often can I feed ghost shrimp? I was thinking maybe snails five days out of the week, ghost shrimp one day, and krill/blood worms/brine shrimp one day? Does that sound good? I want to make sure that my GSP gets the most out of his diet.

Also, should I feed my ghost shrimp and ramshorn snails any protein foods for gutloading? Like, should I give them bloodworms and brine shrimp or should I stick to veggies and spirulina?

Thank you very much for helping me out so much Puffer community!

Re: GSP diet

Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:45 pm
by Rudy
Variety is key as most of the experts in here will agree, as far as types of food goes I vary my GSP's diet between blood worms, Mysis shrimp, live snails 3 x/week, shell on shrimp, scallops and squid. I will give him some other live food such as ghost and cherry shrimp to chase around as well which I gut load with algae wafers prior to feeding, once he gets a little bigger I will try some small crayfish and hermit crabs. Another good thing to do which Puffer Punk recommended to me was soaking frozen foods in Vita-Chem for a few minutes prior to feeding, gives the extra vitamins they may be missing from their diet. As far as Krill goes, I do feed it to him but only once/week as the whole lock jaw thing scares me, Hope this helps.

Re: GSP diet

Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:42 pm
by Rudy
Correction to my prior post...omit hermit crabs, I meant small fiddler or red-claw crabs :D

Re: GSP diet

Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:40 pm
by AnneMarie
Thank you very much Rudy! This is very helpful =) How big are the fiddler/red claw crabs compared to the size of the puffer when you feed them to him? Can they hurt the puffer at all? Thank you!

Re: GSP diet

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:15 am
by Rudy
My GSP is roughly 2 inches and I've seen some nice red claw crabs roughly the size of a nickel at my LFS that I'm sure he will be able to handle. I plan on removing pinchers before feeding it to my puffer, unfair I know but I don't want him to get nipped.

Re: GSP diet

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:01 pm
by AnneMarie
It must be quite a sight to watch a puffer go after a crab. I don't know if I'll ever feed live crabs though, I don't want my puffer to get hurt and I couldn't get myself to cut off the poor crab's "hands". I'm just a bleeding heart, I know. lol Let me know how it goes though! Thank you for all of your help!