Page 1 of 1

"Hello everyone"

Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:41 pm
by SteveH
Im new to this forum and Puffer fish, I have kept various tropical fish over the years, I currently have a tank with American Cichlids in. I have wanted to own a Puffer fish for a long time and whilst visiting my local aquarium shop I saw they had the Brown Puffers in stock, so I put a deposit on one and will pick him up once I have done my research.

Re: "Hello everyone"

Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:23 pm
by Pufferpunk
[welcome]
Look up the profile on the M turgidus, in our Pufferpedia. In the meantime, Beetlejuice says, HI!

Image

Re: "Hello everyone"

Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:19 am
by bertie 83
Welcome to the forum, the puffer isn't for your cichlids tank is it?

Re: "Hello everyone"

Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:54 am
by Pufferpunk
Nom, nom, nom, I like to eat fishes!

Re: "Hello everyone"

Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:19 pm
by SteveH
Sorry I didn't explain myself very well, No he wont be going in my cichlid tank, he will have a tank of his very own. But thank you for your concern.

Re: "Hello everyone"

Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:56 pm
by Master of Puffers
welcome..

I've found cichlids to be far more aggressive than puffers. I've had cichilds bully a fahaka for several months before the fahaka suddenly decide that he was bored of that game..

didn't eat them....as far as I could tell

Re: "Hello everyone"

Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:28 am
by Pufferpunk
Aggressive fish & predatory fish are 2 different animals. My 7" Compressiceps cichlid will push my 12" fahaka puffer around out of his territory but Filbert could easily bite him in 1/2 if he felt like it. He's just a pussypuffer though...

Re: "Hello everyone"

Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:54 am
by RTR
I was and remain a Cichlid nut, but IMHO & IME, puffers and Cichlids do not belong in the same tank. Cichlids cover the full spectrum of FW ecological niches, and puffers (although there are many fewer species) do much the same in FW, BW, and SW.. There are many more marine specie of puffer and fewer strictly FW species, but the two families as a rule should not be co-housed. One or the other will suffer, or in some circumstances, both will do poorly. Very few species of either family play well with others. Mixing the two is almost never the best situation for either, and I never mix them. Repeat, never. I had rather not have the fish than to abuse it.

FWIW.

Re: "Hello everyone"

Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:28 pm
by bertie 83
You hAd me worried for a moment there, I might have sent this thread off on a tangent by accident. Keep us posted on the tank build and let us know when he arrives