Page 1 of 1

Wondering which route to take - HEADACHE!

Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:10 pm
by troutpout
Hey, everyone.

I'm currently running a 30 gallon tank - which is home to 2x Yo-Yo loaches at the moment (these will be going)

I'm looking at what sort of avenues I can go down in terms of puffers.

Sadly, no local fish shops sell puffers. So it looks like I'll have to order them online.

I'm just wondering - which would be the best type of puffer to go for.

I know that my tank should be heavily planted. I just think that if it is, then I'll never get to see dwarf puffers - if I chose to put them in there.

At the moment I'm looking at getting;

2 x Figure 8

or

6/7 Dwarf puffers

or

Maybe one Amazon puffer


Then, maybe a couple of small cleaner fish to go alongside each option.

I really want to get it right, first time. As the delivery costs are £15 p/order.

Any advice?

Ideally, I want a tank that isn't completely covered with plants - as I want myself and others to see the fish.

Re: Wondering which route to take - HEADACHE!

Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:34 pm
by bertie 83
Cleaner fish don't tend to work too well with puffers I'm afraid, puffers are generally killers. Amazons need to be in groups so would be best to cross them off your list, they also require regular dentistry. F8 puffers are brackish fish, if you are willing to roll with that then there is a good option. Dwarf puffers, one of my favourites. So much personality and aggression in such a small package, only 1 male per tank which could be an issue if ordering online, no matter how heavily planted the tank is you will see them. You will be looking through the plants trying to spot them before you realise they are at the front by the glass, right In front of your face. Don't go for too many though 5g per puffer, a 30g will not hold close to that once decor is in.

Re: Wondering which route to take - HEADACHE!

Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:37 pm
by bertie 83
Just to add good on you for doing your research first, too many people just buy on impulse. You will see this more the longer you stick around.

Re: Wondering which route to take - HEADACHE!

Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:13 pm
by Iliveinazoo
There are no low end brackish "cleaner" fish only nerite snails and the like. Some report success keeping figure 8's and nerites but it didn't work for me.

With dwarfs you should have more options,I'm sure some manage to keep dwarfs together with shrimps and maybe a group of oto's or cory's could be worth a shot. I've never kept dwarfs though and don't really know their temperaments so others may shoot me down...

Re: Wondering which route to take - HEADACHE!

Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:12 pm
by G S P Freak
I honestly think that you would not be dissapointed with dwarf puffers. I own one and she has a lot of personality. Just my opinion though.
I also own a figure eight, he is a lot of fun, but I also find him A LOT more work. Tbh you couldn't go wrong with either, but given the knowledge I now have, I would rather have started out with dwarf puffers before I got into brackish puffers (which wasn't the case). HTH