Page 1 of 1

New to puffer forum green spotted puffers

Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:36 pm
by Puffalot
Hello everyone, I am new to the site from houston, tx
I care for 2green spotted puffers at the time.
The previous owner kept them in freshwater and I have been converting to brackish gradually over time.
They are about 2.5in in length I keep them in a 45 gallon tank with a fluval 50 filter
I joined the site seeking for good advice to help keep them healthy

Re: New to puffer forum

Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:21 pm
by sgtmyers88
Hello what is the salinity now? They actually do much better in high brackish or preferably full marine saltwater conditions.
See here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15647
[welcome]

Re: New to puffer forum

Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:45 pm
by sgtmyers88
Also feel free to check out these articles in the following link: library/category/puffers-in-focus/

Re: New to puffer forum

Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:52 pm
by Puffalot
My saltivity level is at 1.010 is that to high or low? I actually didn't mix the water for them I had a friend do it and he told me that wen I do w/c's to use a tablespoon of salt for every 5 gallons I replace but he read that off google somewhere. I believe they are doing good I feed them snails but I wasn't sure about salt levels and if I could make them full salt water in the future

Re: New to puffer forum green spotted puffers

Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:35 pm
by bertie 83
It's cheaper for you long term if you keep them in full marine, with live rock, a skimmer and microalgae refugium. The fish will thrive in such a set up. Get a refractometer for measuring your salt content and use a decent marine mix. Be sure not to raise your salinity more than by 0.002 per week or you will kill off your bio-filters little bacteria colonies which can lead to disaster. Welcome to the forum.

Re: New to puffer forum green spotted puffers

Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:26 am
by Pufferpunk
This article should help: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19348