Page 1 of 1

Hi! new here on the forum

Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:09 pm
by anouk
Hi everyone,

My name is Anouk, and i'm 24 (almost 25) years old. And i'm from the Netherlands.
I've had different kind of puffers sinds i was about eleven. But unfortunatly i don't have allot of time anymore to take care of multiple tanks, so my only tank right now is a 500L (i believe thats about 130G ?) Saltwater tank thats about 1.5 years old, and currently houses the following:

- (completly)black dogface puffer (Arothron nigropunctatus)
- false eyed toby (is this name correct? Either way the scientific one is Canthigaster Solandri)
(not really sure of the common english names of the following fish, so the scientific names will have to do)
- Zebrasoma flavescens
- Siganus magnificus
- Halichoeres melanurus
- Mespilia globulus
- a bunch of different kind of snails (mainly for feeding/snacking, and if still alive they're joining the cleaning crew ;) )
- a bunch of hermitcrabs
- and about 3-4 crabs (which will become food some day)
The scape is done with live rock, and varius corals (mainly different kinds of soft corals). The fish are all very easy going, and none are agressive towards eachother. The dogface puffer is about 15 cm right now, and once i start to notice that he needs more room i'll get him a bigger tank (Great excuse for a bigger tank :D ). I've been reading allot about puffers and saltwater, but you can never learn enough so i hope to learn some more on this forum. :D

Re: Hi! new here on the forum

Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:14 pm
by Pufferpunk
[welcome]
Sounds wonderful, WE NEED PICS! :D
Soooo glad you said you'll be upgrading... ;)

Re: Hi! new here on the forum

Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:29 pm
by anouk
I have one pic here on this computer, but i really need to learn how to take pics of black fish with marine lightsetting haha.
And its taken with my phone so its crappy quality ;)
( btw the fish doesn't have ick, the windows needed cleaning :redface:, if you look close you'll see that the dots are green, and not white haha )

Image

I'll be upgrading as soon as they seem to need more room or when i notice that my tank can't take the waste anymore, but eventhough is sounds like allot of fish they still have plenty of room for now :) . My scape is quite open, so there is allot of swimming room. I'll try to upload a pic of the whole tank :D

Re: Hi! new here on the forum

Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:06 pm
by Pufferpunk
Wow, stunning, gorgeous, impressive fish!

Re: Hi! new here on the forum

Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:35 am
by Arny
Wow cool df. How much did he cost?

Re: Hi! new here on the forum

Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:24 am
by bertie 83
Welcome, does your dogface not nip at your corals?

Re: Hi! new here on the forum

Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:09 pm
by anouk
Thanks everyone!

@arny I bought the puffer for 225 euro's. It's not cheap but also not to expensive, haven't seen them on stocklist before or after here in the area so I don't know if the price was good, but I'm very happy with him :)
@bertie83 so far he leaves the corals alone, but I mostly have soft corals. I don't think hard corals will have a long live haha! I might buy some (cheap) small pieces just for him to feed on, because it's a natural food supply. But I'll need to do some reasuch on that first (as in which corals) ;)

Re: Hi! new here on the forum

Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:21 pm
by Arny
anouk wrote:Thanks everyone!

@arny I bought the puffer for 225 euro's. It's not cheap but also not to expensive, haven't seen them on stocklist before or after here in the area so I don't know if the price was good, but I'm very happy with him :)
@bertie83 so far he leaves the corals alone, but I mostly have soft corals. I don't think hard corals will have a long live haha! I might buy some (cheap) small pieces just for him to feed on, because it's a natural food supply. But I'll need to do some reasuch on that first (as in which corals) ;)
Id def pay that much for him, hes gorgeous

Re: Hi! new here on the forum

Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:29 pm
by Arny
Hey mate would you be able to show us some more pix or a vid of your puffer eatting please :)

Re: Hi! new here on the forum

Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:26 pm
by anouk
I have a short video of him eating, just not sure how to get it on this site (it's uploaded with photobucket). I also made some pictures with a decent camera, but I still need to upload these. So if anyone knows which link I need to use, I'll put it on here

Re: Hi! new here on the forum

Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:30 pm
by anouk
I hope this link works, it's a short video of him eating a shrimp from the tweezers (well close enough try I guess haha)

http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw ... 16_1_1.mp4

Re: Hi! new here on the forum

Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:37 pm
by Arny
Cool mate thx. I love him :)