Page 1 of 1

Greetings From "Sunny" South Florida

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:39 pm
by SIGNTEACH
I am new to the forum and am happy to know there are so many others out there who love these little buggers as I do. I am so sick of people saying "Oh, you think they're 'cute'--they are ferocious!" Newsflash: lions and tigers are also "beautiful" or "cute," and by FAR some of the most ferocious animals on the planet! Oh, and by the way, how was it you came to be in possession of that hamburger you're eating? Hmmm? (Ok, I'm stepping off of my soapbox, now.) :)

My figure 8 was a birthday gift 3 years ago (after hubby noticed me stalling around the puffer tank at the aquarium shop and asking lots of questions--he's so good to me!) Since then, we have had quite the roller coaster ride with the little guy's health. We do frequent water changes in his 8 gallon half-moon tank where he is the sole inhabitant (informed he would make food of any tank mates--am open to suggestions here--maybe he's lonely?). We maintain a good salinity level, knowing they prefer brackish water to fresh; and provide an interesting variety in his(her?) diet. We have had issues with his eyes clouding up and then alternately building up such growth over them that it looked as though a new appendage had sprung from his eye socket. (I have photos, but they're disturbing, and he's entirely healed now, thanks to a combination of Melafix and Pimafix.)

After figuring how to maintain his visual health, we are suddenly having issues with his diet. He has a faint milky white coating all over his body, and he refuses to eat--even his most favorite of foods. He sits on the bottom and is breathing rapidly. He still responds when I come over to the tank. He follows my fingers with his eyes all the time, and sometimes he will still follow with his whole body, but he is doing that less and less often. I am very concerned.

We have a 55 gal., (breeding ciclids) a 29 gal., (variety) a 5 gal., (breeding live bearers) and a tiny 1 gal (betta)--so lots of other "children" are vying for Mom's attention, and I know a "mother" is not supposed to have favorites, but this little guy IS my favorite. Any light someone might be able to shed on the subject would be most appreciated.

Happy to be here with others who understand!


-Worried "Mom"-

Re: Greetings From "Sunny" South Florida

Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:28 am
by Pufferpunk
[welcome]
Moved this to Hospital, so you can answer all the Questions above, in red.
Read this, too: library/puffers-in-focus/fig8/