Page 1 of 1

Hi!

Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:58 pm
by Tetro
I am new to dwarf puffers and found this forum and knew it was worth signing up for.

i do not own any fish yet, I have kept various fish for years but do not have any at present

I have several empty 10 gallon aquariums and want to set them up as Dwarf Puffer aquariums, I plan on setting them up and cycling them before I even source some good healthy puffer fish to stock them with, but I am looking for good sources of stock.

I am here to learn and love the fish!
Thanks

Josh

Re: Hi!

Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:26 pm
by defool89
Hello! Those dwarfs have tempers

Re: Hi!

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:46 am
by Pufferpunk

Re: Hi!

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:43 am
by bertie 83
Welcome to the forum

Re: Hi!

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:05 am
by purplecandle
Tetro wrote:
I have several empty 10 gallon aquariums and want to set them up as Dwarf Puffer aquariums, I plan on setting them up and cycling them before I even source some good healthy puffer fish to stock them with, but I am looking for good sources of stock.

I am here to learn and love the fish!
Thanks

Josh
Welcome! Ebay.com and aquabid.com often have dwarfs for sale if you cannot get your local store to order them for you.

Re: Hi!

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:35 pm
by Tetro
Thanks!

I noticed that other posts I made here have not appeared and the page said they would, if they were approved of by a moderator...?

They were about Pomacea snails, which I have experience keeping and I was attempting to correct some incorrect information regarding them I found here. I've kept several types of aquatic snails and found the Pomaceas produced more biomass in less time than any others I've kept... not that it matters. I don't really care, but was just curious about that.

I plan on either buying my Dwarf puffers from a private breeder, or from some sites that have them. I have seen them on occasion locally.

I am also interested in other freshwater puffers and have found this to be a great site!

Re: Hi!

Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:56 am
by purplecandle
@ tetro ..go to this forum if you are having trouble making posts. Make a post explaining your problem.
viewforum.php?f=12


We get a lot if spammers so sometimes our safeguards get in the way of real people making posts.

You can also try deleting board cookies.

Re: Hi!

Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:25 am
by defool89
Once you have made a few posts , youre in. no more post approval

Re: Hi!

Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:49 pm
by puffykid
http://dwarfpuffers.com is another good site for puffers.

Re: Hi!

Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:16 pm
by Pufferpunk
Be sure you read the article on sexing. It is almost impossible to be sure the suppliers of online fish can sex a puffer.

Re: Hi!

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:39 pm
by Tetro
I read the sexing article before signing up, but thanks!

my DP purchase is likely still many weeks away, there is a lot to do to get ready for them, like cycle in fully planted tanks etc
lots to do

and lots of research, I would really be helped if I could track down someone who has studied this fish in habitat, and not just an amateur collector but preferably someone with a biology background. Anyone like that?

I have a lot of questions and experience says that asking them on forums just invites flames from people who don't ask questions

Re: Hi!

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:48 pm
by Tetro
defool89 wrote:Hello! Those dwarfs have tempers
Really?
Are you sure they aren't just being territorial?
the idea they have tempers seems really strange to me

I have a good friend that does that, he is always projecting human behavioral traits onto his fish, he has even gotten rid of some because he perceived them to be mean or to be bullies, i find that deeply offensive, I mean his failure to understand the needs of the animal and the kind of animal it is doesn't mean it should be accused of having a bad attitude and mistreated. I am not saying you are doing this, but the idea that DPs have temper reminds me of this, of his ignorant attribution of human traits to the fish in a way that causes him to have ridiculous expectations. I've seen him get disgusted at fish behavior and in return i've been totally disgusted at his.

I find DPs to be considerably intelligent fish, but I have a hard time with the projection of human emotionality on them.
For example, if they are stressed out, that makes sense, but the idea that their "feelings" are hurt does not.

Perhaps (I am autistic BTW, aspbergers syndrome) I am alone in taking issue with this?