Page 1 of 1

Hello fellow finned-lover friends!

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:44 pm
by Horsegirlmaddy
Hello! I am the proud mommy of:
-South American cichlid tank
-"African" tank (African butterfly, Senegal bichir, leopard Ctenopoma)
-pea puffer tank (4 pea/dwarf puffers)
-Brackish tank (3 bumblebee gobies and a figure 8 puffer)
-2 fry nurseries (live bearer in one, African cichlid fry in the other)
-African Clawed Frog tank
-African Dwarf Frog tank
-7 Bettas (separate tanks of course)
-Pond with 4 giant comet goldfish
-Axolotl (aquatic salamander)
-2 ferrets (namaste and soots)
-hamster (diva)
-hedgehog (oodles)
- Reeve's turtle (Poseidon)
-standard poodle will be joining us soon!

I have joined to get insight into the wonderful world of puffers, and to see what I can do to improve the lives of my puffs, and get some advice!

I would love to know your opinions on this: I have a 60 gallon tank I would like to make a puffer tank. I don't want to do full marine, but would love to do mixed freshwater or brackish puffs. So any stocking suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!

Re: Hello fellow finned-lover friends!

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:35 pm
by defool89
O wow quite a zoo you got... welcome. Puffers are mostly lonely critters and rarely do good in community tanks or like species tanks. I know the dwars do good and figure 8s as well in a large enough tank. You can probably fit a group of dwarfs in that tank or 2-3 f8s or maybe 2 gsps..a senior member will correct me if I'm wrong

Re: Hello fellow finned-lover friends!

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:06 am
by bertie 83
Hi and welcome to the forum, puffers don't normally mix nicely. You could possibly fit 2 gsp in there but a little larger would be preferable.

Re: Hello fellow finned-lover friends!

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:07 am
by Pufferpunk
Eventually, you will want to go marine with GSPs, otherwise your 50% weekly WC will get quite $$$. On my 55g, that was 10 cups of $alt/week. You have time to learn though. This is how I got into SW!

Re: Hello fellow finned-lover friends!

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:19 pm
by Horsegirlmaddy
Wouldn't marine water changes be even more expensive? Would it not still be a 50% water change, but with more salt? Please explain!

Re: Hello fellow finned-lover friends!

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:16 am
by Master of Puffers
Bonjour et beinvenue

Re: Hello fellow finned-lover friends!

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:02 am
by Pufferpunk
In a properly set up marine tanks 30% monthly WC is all you should need.