Page 1 of 1
puffer eating pinky mice?
Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:46 pm
by defool89
I can only think of a thousand things on why i believe this is wrong, but not for the mouse but for things like the water and sickness.
I just removed the video. Some people may find it offensive. I dont see why but i do respect your opinion enough to have removed it before you saw it.
Its a baby mouse thrown in a tank while puffers knaw on him. Crazy.
Re: puffer eating pinky mice?
Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:58 pm
by El Scorpio
Hmm. I mean, mice are great for snakes, but.. well, y'know. Not for puffers.
Re: puffer eating pinky mice?
Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:26 pm
by bunny
defool89 wrote:I can only think of a thousand things on why i believe this is wrong, but not for the mouse but for things like the water and sickness.
I just removed the video. Some people may find it offensive. I dont see why but i do respect your opinion enough to have removed it before you saw it.
Its a baby mouse thrown in a tank while puffers knaw on him. Crazy.
Wow ~ actually , my little clearer --dace, was ate cause one day i feed them 1 hour later than before ~
Re: puffer eating pinky mice?
Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:18 pm
by Master of Puffers
I'm hoping it was a frozen pinky mouse rather than a live one. I know feeding live mice to snakes is frowned on in most hep circles.
I've heard of pirahna keepers feeding frozen pinkies to thier fish but never puffer keepers.
I'm sure in the wild puffers can and do eat what ever is available like most predators.
Re: puffer eating pinky mice?
Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:25 am
by Tim
Master of Puffers wrote:I'm hoping it was a frozen pinky mouse rather than a live one.
Not sure how it is any worse than feeding live snails or shrimp at any rate. Pretty sure most of us do that

.
I don't suppose someone knows how these mice are killed prior to freezing if at all?
Re: puffer eating pinky mice?
Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:18 am
by Master of Puffers
google live pinky and snake images ..mice are agressive while being eaten, unsurprisingly..
Re: puffer eating pinky mice?
Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:22 am
by Terrance
Does not seem appropriate to feed mice for my puffers. Its not part of their natural diet.
Re: puffer eating pinky mice?
Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:49 am
by Tim
Terrance wrote:Does not seem appropriate to feed mice for my puffers. Its not part of their natural diet.
I sure wouldn't feed them to a puffer, but I wouldnt be surprised that if a puffer came across a rodent swimming in the water to try and take a bite

Re: puffer eating pinky mice?
Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:43 am
by RTR
Personally I have reservations about feeding lend animals to puffers or other fish. I just do not see mammalian flesh as significant part of a healthy diet for them. Not in my fish tanks.
Re: puffer eating pinky mice?
Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:04 pm
by Horsegirlmaddy
Tim wrote:Master of Puffers wrote:I'm hoping it was a frozen pinky mouse rather than a live one.
Not sure how it is any worse than feeding live snails or shrimp at any rate. Pretty sure most of us do that

.
I don't suppose someone knows how these mice are killed prior to freezing if at all?
I work at a pet store, so I can answer this for sure: they don't kill them first. There are rumors that the mice are "gased" before being frozen, but that's completely false.
Piranhas, oscars, arowana, and snakeheads very commonly eat frozen/thawed mice, although I know more than one fish keeper who feeds live for the thrill of it >< for ever one pinky mouse, there's about twenty times the nutritional value of a group of feeder fish. However, fed more than once every ten days, the fish is at risk of bloating, protein overload, constipation from the bones, and obesity. I've personally never heard of feeding mice to puffers, but IMO it seems a more economical option for,say, an adult mbu every once in a while. Probably better than live feeder fish, but that's just my thoughts. I personally give the oscars at our store any freezer burnt pinkies that a snake won't eat, and they seem to quite enjoy this occasional treat.