Page 1 of 2
Help needed
Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:31 pm
by thebruiser
My valentine puffer has a purple fuzzy growth/fungus like stuff growing on his nose I can't find anything on the web about it.he as started to loose weight too,He seems to struggle homing in onto the food it as if he's cross eyed he pecks Either side of the food
my LFS gave me some Myxazin gave him the dosage as requested and I've used the whole lot on him 60ml /6ml at a time over the last 2 weeks
He is in a isolation tank within my aquarium
Any help would be much appreciated
Thanks Garry
Re: Help needed
Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:02 pm
by Pufferpunk
Please answer all the questions above, in red.
Re: Help needed
Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:14 am
by thebruiser
As requested my stats I'm new to the salty side
Tank is 18mth old 15klo live rock
I have just ordered a 48x15x10 open top tank with a 30x15x12 sump 4 stip aqua rays, skimmer, uv steriliser, ozoniser, all the plumbing bits.
Should have it end of this week
Ready for the transfer in about 4weeks
NH4=0
No3=50
No2=0
Ph=8.2
Salt=1.024
Tank = 96lt (DnD NANO TANK)
Water change 20lt weekly (DnD salt mix)
Fish
Clown x 2
Bi color Blenny x1
Convict blenny x 1
Umbug damsel x 1
Yellow tang x 1
Yellow tail blue damsel x 1
Valentini puffer x1
C U C
Cleaner shrimp
Boxing shrimp
Hawaiian hermit crab x1
Mithrax crab x1
Assorted snails dwarf crabs
Corals
Pulsing Xenia two types
3x leathers
Torch coral
Flat mushroom type coral x 3
Sorry don't know the coral names
Re: Help needed
Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:46 pm
by bertie 83
The no3 is high due to stocking level, you are massively overstocked. Double your water changes at least for now. I would advise a large change now whilst we wait for others to chime in.
Re: Help needed
Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:43 pm
by thebruiser
Thanks Bertie
That's one of the many reasons Im getting bigger tank
Any clues what the growth my be?

Re: Help needed
Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:29 pm
by bertie 83
Sounds fungal, melafix and pimafix should clean it up if you keep your water pristine( nitra under 20) wait for confirmation tho. Can you post a pick
Re: Help needed
Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:29 pm
by thebruiser
bertie 83 wrote:Sounds fungal, melafix and pimafix should clean it up if you keep your water pristine( nitra under 20) wait for confirmation tho. Can you post a pick
Thanks Bertie
I am a bit reluctant to use melafix I've used in the past but on a freshwater/cichlid tank I lost a few fish cos of it (expensive loss over £200)
I did some research in the past and I found it 50-50 some had the same as me others had no incident at all
Most recommended Myxazin but this does not seem to work used a full bottle 60ml over the last two weeks

Re: Help needed
Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:00 pm
by bertie 83
Fish like bettas and gouramis are at risk
Re: Help needed
Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:04 pm
by Pufferpunk
All of use Melafix here. But more importantly, what will you do about your overstocked tank? I'm afraid you will continue having problems in there, until that's resolved.
Re: Help needed
Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:15 pm
by thebruiser
thebruiser wrote:
I have just ordered a 48x15x10 open top tank with a 30x15x12 sump 4 stip aqua rays, skimmer, uv steriliser, ozoniser, all the plumbing bits.
Should have it very soon
Still anybody know/seen this purple growth/fungus
Re: Help needed
Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:18 pm
by Pufferpunk
Sorry, missed that. This should improve with better water parameters. A pic would help.
Re: Help needed
Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:02 pm
by bertie 83
Yes improve their water, pimafix and melafix will help heal once your water is good
Re: Help needed
Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:49 pm
by thebruiser
Pufferpunk wrote:Sorry, missed that. This should improve with better water parameters. A pic would help.
Same as this one
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3409
Re: Help needed
Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:37 am
by Pufferpunk
Thanks, this is what I found:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enteric_redmouth_disease
Antibiotics must be used in QT, not the main tank.
Re: Help needed
Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:47 am
by thebruiser
Sad news new I shoulden have used it
Got some melafix last night from a friend date expires December 13 so in date
Gave Gareth a small dose about 11.30 last night under the recommended amount woke this morning and he's died sometime in the night, so not happy today
