Page 1 of 1

Fatso: The puffer who cares about you only when you feed him

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:34 am
by MsGenetics
Hi guys,

I've moved now from GSP to marine puffers. My babies are sooo pretty.
Fatso is a nice porcupine puffer that I bought about 7 months ago. He's a healthy fellow with a GIANT appetite.
I have learned that he really hates every fish available. I don't know who was his owner before but every time I try to put a fish in the tank he puffs and kills them.
He's a loner I guess. However, he's figured out when I feed him so now he doesn't try to play around like he used to.
He just sits around like the puffy fatty he is and waits for me to feed him. I think he's bored.

Do you guys have any ideas to making a moody, healthy and voracious fatty guy more active?

Re: Fatso: The puffer who cares about you only when you feed him

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:48 am
by Flutter
Feed him less (is he overweight?), they tend to get lazy when fat. You can also put in feeders for him (crabs, shrimp).

Re: Fatso: The puffer who cares about you only when you feed him

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:18 pm
by bertie 83
Do you have a full tank shot? He may be bored if it is not complex enough to keep him entertained. What size tank is it?

Re: Fatso: The puffer who cares about you only when you feed him

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:47 pm
by MsGenetics
Flutter wrote:Feed him less (is he overweight?), they tend to get lazy when fat. You can also put in feeders for him (crabs, shrimp).
I don't think he is overweight. I feed him every other day a small shrimp. I can't put much in the tank with him making thrash of it.
Plants he hates, crabs he eats eventually. none survive. I have rock which he sits on.

I was thinking of making rock tunnels for him. Or putting bubble tubes. He's on a 55 gallon

Re: Fatso: The puffer who cares about you only when you feed him

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:51 pm
by bertie 83
It's not that surprising the tank is too small. How big is he? 120g min for a porc, much bigger is better

Re: Fatso: The puffer who cares about you only when you feed him

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:57 pm
by MsGenetics
He is 3-4 inches. He moves around when i put a leaf inside and chases it.
He acts like a cat.
Maybe is the tank size, I can't get a bigger one in the apartment I live in. Once I move in August I can get a nice big one for him.
He's never got sick and his colors are always bright.

Re: Fatso: The puffer who cares about you only when you feed him

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:26 pm
by Pufferpunk
Don't blame his past owners, he's just being a puffer!