Page 1 of 1

Hello, Puffer People!

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:34 pm
by LooksLater
Just wanted to introduce myself, I'm Sasha. I'm new to the forum but honestly I've been lurking/gathering info here for awhile, it's such a great resource!

I have a Fahaka Puffer, Suki...finally got her a little over a week ago, after months of research and preparing. She's about 6-7'', and currently settling in nicely to her (fully cycled) 45g "wide" tank (it's one of Odyssea's old B-series bowfronts, if that means anything to anyone? Hahah. It's about 29'' x 16'' x 18''tall). I absolutely plan on moving her to a 120g+ as soon as I can get one. I'm watching my parameters and so far doing 35% WC twice a week. I don't know if that's paranoid or just good mommy instinct, but I want her to have a nice clean tank until I can move her up! I am very in love with this puffer, it's kind of ridiculous...but I wouldn't have it any other way.
Image

I also ended up with a Dwarf Puffer a couple of days ago, Squishy. He came along with a nicely planted, established Fluval Ebi tank that I was buying from a fellow Houston Fishboxer, and I just couldn't say no. Now my heart's getting slayed all over again. I'm thinking of getting him a female or two after I do some more research so I can be sure of "his" sex, and if the size requirement is right. He's settling in quite nicely, very curious and hungry (and cute!) little fella.
2/20 Update: Looks like "He" is a "she"...and has been re-named Squee. :)
Image

Anyway, just wanted to say hello, and I'm very glad to be here. I am new to puffers but I am dedicated to making their homes good ones...I'm glad to have a place like this to come and learn...so, nice to meet you all and I'll see you around the forum!

Re: Hello, Puffer People!

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:43 pm
by Pufferpunk
LOL, nice waistline on that, GF!

With those quarters, I'd be doing 50% 2x/week or 75% weekly WC.

Re: Hello, Puffer People!

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:54 pm
by LooksLater
Lol, she sure isn't starving...! Though I have to say, she is pickier than I thought she'd be.

Thanks, I will beef up the WC to more, I saw that coming... like I say, it's been a week or so and I'm watching my numbers...I also scoop after her like a dog in the park, it's pretty comical how paranoid I am about the water... :)

Re: Hello, Puffer People!

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:46 pm
by suvattii2012
Welcome, lovly fish you have there.

Re: Hello, Puffer People!

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:08 am
by LooksLater
Thank you!

Re: Hello, Puffer People!

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:19 am
by chuckfriedrice
Cool Puffies!

Re: Hello, Puffer People!

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:30 am
by LooksLater
Thanks, I appreciate it!

Re: Hello, Puffer People!

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:56 am
by bertie 83
I agree you should increase waterchange volume. Aim for an upgrade ASAP . Welcome to the forum

Re: Hello, Puffer People!

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:14 am
by LooksLater
bertie 83 wrote:I agree you should increase waterchange volume. Aim for an upgrade ASAP . Welcome to the forum
I will, on both counts. I wouldn't have started with a 45g, except that I had been planning on getting a 2'' Fahaka from a friend, then that fell through...I saw these up at the LFS, and couldn't help but take her home. I figured, inherently it was better than the 10g long they were keeping her in-with a tankmate-for the last 2 months...and I can come up with a bigger tank faster than some who might impulse buy her. The gal at the LFS actually asked me if I wanted to get 2 and breed them! Hahah. I saw it as a rescue.
And thanks for the welcome.

Re: Hello, Puffer People!

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:29 pm
by jus85411
welcome! nice looking dwarf fatty! all good recommendations from all above, and you knew yourself you needed a 120 before it was mentioned, happy your doing your research!

Re: Hello, Puffer People!

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:40 pm
by LooksLater
jus85411 wrote:welcome! nice looking dwarf fatty! all good recommendations from all above, and you knew yourself you needed a 120 before it was mentioned, happy your doing your research!
Thanks! And of course...these aren't fish to take lightly. I know I have a lot to learn yet, but I am always hungry for more info. That's why forums like these are THE BEST!