Page 1 of 1

New from Texas

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:05 pm
by Darielm
Hey all. My name is Steven, I have 2 GSPs in a 10 gal tank with their new 40 gal cycling. Like alot of us I was very misled by the Wal-mart staff. I brought my first puffer home to be in my FW tank with some guppies and a swordtail. I woke up next morning to my fish cowering in one corner and my puffer zooming around the rest of the tank. I quickly set up my spare tank and moved the puffer over to it. Since then, I have acquired another GSP and couldn't part with them if I wanted to. I am about to move them into their new 40 gal home for now. I have a 90 that I am buying in the next few months to make their permanent home. I found this forum and knew that i was gonna need some help with this little adventure, so here I am. I have yet to find another puffer exclusive forum at all and the other forums don't quite get into the puffers.

Re: New from Texas

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:12 pm
by Gongol
Welcome!
I WAS from Texas too, & just recently moved.
I have 2 GSP's myself, and one of mine is called Squishy too! lol. :)
AWWEEESSSOMMMEEE....:)
& don't feel bad about not knowing much about these fish, I was totally clueless myself, when I purchased them from Walmart, I honestly thought it would be EASY caring for them...........:D

Re: New from Texas

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:24 pm
by El Scorpio
Welcome, Darielm! Nice to have you, and don't feel bad, a lot of us have been tricked by Wal Mart. Your two GSP's will do nicely in the 90 gallon that you want to set up; they'll grow to their max size in a tank that big.

Re: New from Texas

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:55 pm
by Pufferpunk
[welcome]
I suggest moving your puffers over to the 40g now. An uncycled 40g is way better than a 10g for 2 GSPs. Get Tetra's Safestart to dd to your filter tomorrow.

Re: New from Texas

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:43 am
by Darielm
Pufferpunk wrote: I suggest moving your puffers over to the 40g now. An uncycled 40g is way better than a 10g for 2 GSPs. Get Tetra's Safestart to dd to your filter tomorrow.
Will that work if the SG of the tank is at 1.014?

Re: New from Texas

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:51 am
by Pufferpunk
No, but Bio-Spira probably will. Your other option is to bump it up to 1.018, get established live rock & drip-acclimate them into there.