Page 1 of 1
Me and my fahaka are new to tpf any advice welcome
Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:41 pm
by Toomz85
Hi all
I'm new to keeping puffers and currently the proud owner of a fahaka (wild import so I'm told) he is about 6 months old and have had him from half an inch and in now around 3 I currently have him in a 48 X 20 X 20 tank (altho I'm am sure he is going to out grow this?! Is there any suggestions on the best size tank for him as if he is going to get too big may need to think about a new home sooner rather than later any other suggestions on food plants ect most welcome
btw I do fees him bloodworms, muscles, cockels, worms, (my son how is 2 fed him a spider too hmmmmm??)
Many thanks guys!!!!!!
Re: Me and my fahaka are new to tpf any advice welcome
Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:17 pm
by sevenyearnight
Fahakas get about 1.5 feet, the tank size recommendation I believe is 180 gallons.
That diet sounds fine, minus the spider, since some are poisonous. I don't know if eating a spider is dangerous for them, but probably best to avoid.
Glad to have you as a member!
Re: Me and my fahaka are new to tpf any advice welcome
Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:23 pm
by Toomz85
Nks very much and I did think it would prob not be the best of foods to give him but it was a little too late after my son dropped it in there good job it was a very small spider and thaks for the advice and welcoming it's nice to be part of a friendly site
Re: Me and my fahaka are new to tpf any advice welcome
Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:05 pm
by sevenyearnight
Here is a little more information for you and your new friend; you'll want to treat him for internal parasites, you have to soak his food in medication. Get Jungle Fizz Tabs Parasite Clear, break off a piece of the tab and drop it in smallish container, and put a small amount of tank water in it, enough to cover the food you intend to soak. Add the tabs and some pressed or chopped garlic or garlic extract. Allow the food to marinade in the solution for about an hour. Feed him like this 3 -7 days.
You can get some non-seasoned, uncooked seafood from a grocery store, like mussels, shrimp, squid etc. I also like to include tilapia and earth worms, to offer some thiaminase (An enzyme that inhibits the body's ability to uptake b1) free/low food sources. Cockles is the only shelled bivalve I'm aware of that does not contain thiaminase, so that's a great choice. It's not readily available here in the US. If the seafood is fresh, freeze it first, and thaw/ soak the food in a bit of tank water (Don't use straight tap) with the addition of vitamins, such as vitachem and Selcon to make sure they are getting balanced nutrition, as freezing does break some of the nutritional value, but it is important to freeze to kill bacteria and or parasites.
Re: Me and my fahaka are new to tpf any advice welcome
Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:37 pm
by Toomz85
WOW!!!
Thanks sooo much he does have earthworms once a week and the cockles are just chopped dozen type from my lfs I try to vary it as much as poss to stop him ever getting picky (I hope) he seems a happy chap altho is it normal for him to just eat then sit at the bottom of the tank and watch he is active before feeding and most of the day but after I feed him can be up to 2 hours before he's off again
I do water change every other week but run a large filter and an over sized skimmer with filter media of carbon wool and 3 grades of sponge bio balls AND finely ceramics
Re: Me and my fahaka are new to tpf any advice welcome
Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:39 pm
by Pufferpunk
Wow, that's some great growth on him! Unless he's looking thin, with that kind of growth rate, I kinda doubt he has IPs.
Re: Me and my fahaka are new to tpf any advice welcome
Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:00 pm
by Toomz85
Yh I notice his growth almost every week and it is very rapid and no not thin he has a rounded shape but not due to over feeding though I checked that out when i noticed his size increasing, but I don't no how much fresh food helps with growth as he only has bloodworm and muscles that are frozen.
I have read they grow fast but no idea this fast there is one almost fully grown in a lfs ......... But and I mean but ........ Brace yourselfs or DO NOT READ homed in a 3 foot tank can barely turn round and is always in the same place I feel so sorry for such a beautiful fish

Re: Me and my fahaka are new to tpf any advice welcome
Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:11 pm
by sevenyearnight
Well 99% of wild caught puffers have IP's, but he may be the 1%
Good job taking care of him so far. I would love to see some pics if you have any.
What is his name?
Re: Me and my fahaka are new to tpf any advice welcome
Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:29 am
by Toomz85
Yeah I'll try get some up either tonight or tomorrow afternoon I call him deebo
Re: Me and my fahaka are new to tpf any advice welcome
Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:38 pm
by Pufferpunk
Please start a new thread on him.