Page 1 of 1

New member

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:38 pm
by GwailuJ
How is everyone doing?
First of all let me thank you for a great site. My name is J. living in Ireland at the moment and foreseeable future.
Today, after cycling my 60l tank, I went and bought my first green spotted well three actually. All no more than an inch long. And yes I was told they are a freshwater fish.
After doing a little (more) research I came across a great article written by pufferpunk in 2005 which led me to this site. Thank you for that.
A few days ago I went looking for snails to start a feeder tank and was sold some assassin snails which upon entry killed off the minute amount of pest snails i found on some plants in the puffer aquarium. (man do i feel stupid just typing this).
Anyway just wanted to introduce myself and will be trying to find out more on steadily changing the tank to brackish. Do I add the small amounts of marine salt during water changes? (reading in the article to up the solidity .002 a week?????????? Wasnt reading up on marine at all sorry)

Thanks
J.

Re: New member

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:41 pm
by xrayjeeper83
Welcome

Before you worry about moving to brackish/salt, get a tank suitable for 3 GSPs. 60l is about 15 gallons which is WAY WAY WAY to small. You need atleast 90g or 340l.

And dont worry about the snail thing, we all make mistakes

Re: New member

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:10 pm
by GwailuJ
Really too small I was afraid of that. and you know what? The shop assistant is expecting me back in five days to collect the two south american puffers i originally put the deposit on. for the same tank. and I went through the whole set up with him.
I also have a 90l (25g?) tank doing nothing but I cant seem to source a lid for it

Thanks.
J.

Re: New member

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:19 pm
by GwailuJ
So just looking in the pufferpedia I should bring my spotted puffers back to the shop and stick with the south american puffer says there they need less tank size/space?

Re: New member

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:19 pm
by Salmon
I could be wrong but I believe south american puffers will eventually need their teeth trimmed... so I wouldn't pick them as a first puffer.

Re: New member

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:22 pm
by xrayjeeper83
Neither would I. SAP's are hard to keep and you need a long tank for them. Plus they dont act like other puffers. very skitish

Re: New member

Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:12 pm
by Reaperpilot2014
How did it go with the fish store? Did you end up getting the SA puffers? They should be kept in a tank on their own, and preferably in a group of 3 or more. As for dentistry, they only need their teeth trimmed about once a year if you feed them a regular diet of snails. As for the GS puffers, what did you end up deciding. Are they going to be in the same tank together?

Re: New member

Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:03 pm
by Pufferpunk
Actually, every 4-6 months for dentistry, is more like it...
library/hospital/dentistry/

Re: New member

Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:57 pm
by Reaperpilot2014
Have you had to do it that often before? That would get annoying I'd think.

Re: New member

Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:59 pm
by Pufferpunk
Yep

Re: New member

Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:23 pm
by Reaperpilot2014
Then I guess my SAPs are either mutated or I'm really really lucky lol. Or my memory is failing... that's a scary thought.